UM students finish one-two at Florida math competition

John Karpis, a senior at the University of Miami, took first place in the integral contest at the Mathematics Association of America’s Florida conference at Florida Gulf Coast University on Feb. 14.

According to Patrick J. Bibby, a math professor and coach, integrals involve skills learned in calculus and require ingenuity and creativity to solve.

Juan Bustos, an 18-year-old sophomore who entered the University of Miami when he was only 16, claimed second place.

“This is just a reflection of our preparation through Dr. Bibby,” said Karpis of the team coach.

Three out of the four students, including Karpis and Bustos, all attended the same high school, Miami Springs Senior High in Miami-Dade County.

This is not the first win or contest for either Karpis or Bibby.

Karpis said he has competed in more than three dozen math contests in high school, as well as competing every year in the annual Putnam Mathematical Competition during his four years at UM.

This is Bibby’s third year coaching students for this specific contest and his third year having one of his students win the first place award.

Bibby said he does not plan on quitting coaching any time soon.

“As long as I have the energy and desire, I’ll keep doing it for years to come,” Bibby said.

Michelle Powers

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...