UM students finish one-two at Florida math competition

John Karpis, a senior at the University of Miami, took first place in the integral contest at the Mathematics Association of America’s Florida conference at Florida Gulf Coast University on Feb. 14.

According to Patrick J. Bibby, a math professor and coach, integrals involve skills learned in calculus and require ingenuity and creativity to solve.

Juan Bustos, an 18-year-old sophomore who entered the University of Miami when he was only 16, claimed second place.

“This is just a reflection of our preparation through Dr. Bibby,” said Karpis of the team coach.

Three out of the four students, including Karpis and Bustos, all attended the same high school, Miami Springs Senior High in Miami-Dade County.

This is not the first win or contest for either Karpis or Bibby.

Karpis said he has competed in more than three dozen math contests in high school, as well as competing every year in the annual Putnam Mathematical Competition during his four years at UM.

This is Bibby’s third year coaching students for this specific contest and his third year having one of his students win the first place award.

Bibby said he does not plan on quitting coaching any time soon.

“As long as I have the energy and desire, I’ll keep doing it for years to come,” Bibby said.

Michelle Powers

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...