Singer Chana to perform in Bayfront Park

Singer Chana Tavarez describes her sound as “trop-electro-hip-hop.”  For those scratching their heads trying to understand what that means, that’s exactly what Chana wants.

“I think it’s really interesting that people can identify me as having my own sound. I think really the only way I can describe my sound is if I do it myself,” Chana said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane. “I don’t think it’s something that you can describe easily.”

The singer will be performing for free as part of the Downtown Miami Concert Series this coming Friday. Chana, who moved to Miami when she was 9 years old, said she views this performance as a homecoming of sorts.

Chana (short for Rosanna) is a dancer, actress, and television show host, in addition to being a singer. She can remember her love affair with music starting at a young age. She learned to dance merengue by standing on her grandmother’s feet, and loved belting out songs from the musical Annie.

“Anything that had to do with music and dancing captured my attention and my imagination,” Chana said. That her parents cultivated a love of music in their children is also evidenced by her younger brother (and University of Miami alumus) Omar Tavarez, who will be performing in a band that will be opening for her.

According to Chana, she doesn’t let the stress of pleasing the audience get to her in an effort to avoid over-thinking a performance. Instead, she wants the audience to respond to her authenticity. Chana describes success in the music industry as having an impact on both the commercial and underground arenas.

“It has to do with the artist disseminating the music and the audience receiving it,” she said.

Those who have heard Chana’s music or are intrigued by the idea of hearing her eclectic trop-electro-hip-hop sound should head downtown for the free show. Chana urged people to take a chance on her sound: “It is its own brand of music…I want them to come and be open and listen.”

If you go:
What: Chana Live at Bayfront Park

When: Friday, Feb. 11 at 5:30 p.m.

Where:  Tina Hills Pavilion in Bayfront Park, 301 North Biscayne Blvd. in Downtown Miami

Cost: Free

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...