Singer Chana to perform in Bayfront Park

Singer Chana Tavarez describes her sound as “trop-electro-hip-hop.”  For those scratching their heads trying to understand what that means, that’s exactly what Chana wants.

“I think it’s really interesting that people can identify me as having my own sound. I think really the only way I can describe my sound is if I do it myself,” Chana said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane. “I don’t think it’s something that you can describe easily.”

The singer will be performing for free as part of the Downtown Miami Concert Series this coming Friday. Chana, who moved to Miami when she was 9 years old, said she views this performance as a homecoming of sorts.

Chana (short for Rosanna) is a dancer, actress, and television show host, in addition to being a singer. She can remember her love affair with music starting at a young age. She learned to dance merengue by standing on her grandmother’s feet, and loved belting out songs from the musical Annie.

“Anything that had to do with music and dancing captured my attention and my imagination,” Chana said. That her parents cultivated a love of music in their children is also evidenced by her younger brother (and University of Miami alumus) Omar Tavarez, who will be performing in a band that will be opening for her.

According to Chana, she doesn’t let the stress of pleasing the audience get to her in an effort to avoid over-thinking a performance. Instead, she wants the audience to respond to her authenticity. Chana describes success in the music industry as having an impact on both the commercial and underground arenas.

“It has to do with the artist disseminating the music and the audience receiving it,” she said.

Those who have heard Chana’s music or are intrigued by the idea of hearing her eclectic trop-electro-hip-hop sound should head downtown for the free show. Chana urged people to take a chance on her sound: “It is its own brand of music…I want them to come and be open and listen.”

If you go:
What: Chana Live at Bayfront Park

When: Friday, Feb. 11 at 5:30 p.m.

Where:  Tina Hills Pavilion in Bayfront Park, 301 North Biscayne Blvd. in Downtown Miami

Cost: Free

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...