‘9 Parts of Desire’ shows varied perspectives on Iraq

These days, news from Iraq usually arrives in the form of numbing fatality statistics as Americans wait for the withdrawal of combat forces in 2011. The play 9 Parts of Desire brings a human element to the war, though. Opening tomorrow in the Hecht Studio Theater, 9 Parts of Desire examines nine Iraqi women who provide a mosaic of life in and out of Iraq from the first Gulf War to the attacks on Sept. 11.

9 Parts of Desire, written by Heather Raffo, an Iraqi-American, has become one the most popular productions on college campuses in the United States, according to director Patricia Dolan. The five University of Miami cast members have been furiously rehearsing since Jan. 21 to master the play, which Raffo wrote as a one-woman show consisting solely of monologues in prose fragments. The characters include a doctor conducting research on cancer stemming from chemical warfare, an American living in New York during the Sept. 11 attacks, and a mystic who provides a link between the living and the dead.

The play “shows how women weave together and are really the same person,” said Daria DeGaetano, a senior who plays Layal, an artist and curator of the Saddam Art Museum.

Patricia Dolan, a veteran director and theater lecturer at UM, had guest speakers from or descended from the Middle East help the actors master Iraqi life, dress and accents.

“I think [9 Parts of Desire] really conveys the urgency for people to understand different cultures, beliefs and politics,” Dolan said.

While the play is certainly charged, it does not present one overtly political message.

“The show is not ‘Hate Bush,’ ‘Support Iraq.’ You’re supposed to have the compassion to see both sides,” DeGaetano said.

9 Parts of Desire premieres tomorrow at 8 p.m. and plays Saturday at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. in the Hecht Studio Theater, located in room 204 on the second floor of Hecht. It is free to both students and non-students. To reserve a spot, sign up in the Theater Department, also on the second floor of Hecht.

If You Go

What: 9 Parts of Desire

When: Friday at 8 p.m., Saturday at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., and Sunday at 2 p.m.

Where: Hecht Studio Theater, room 204 on the second floor of Hecht Residential College

Cost: Free

Kevin Coleman

Contributing EDGE Writer

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...