Our opinion: Administration’s expectations of graduate students unfair

Kick out the grad students. Let them fend for themselves.

So if you’ve browsed through the news section today, or if you’re a graduate student, there’s no doubt you’ve heard of the new plan for the University Village.

No longer will graduate students be allowed to live there. A comment by vice president for Student Affairs, Patricia A. Whitely, claimed that graduate students are more capable of finding off-campus housing than undergraduates.

Let that sit for a moment.

Without any further context, it seems as though because of a simple age difference and higher level of education, grads have an easier time surfing Craigslist, contacting realtors and closing rental deals.

But maybe the average grad student is financially independent. Maybe that’s what gives them the edge. Although I doubt there is any truth behind that statement, economic times are rough, and balancing a full-time job with a full-time education can be just as daunting as dealing with loans and financial aid.

One proposed solution for the disposal of the graduates focuses on the new Red Road Commons, located just across the street from the University Village. The cost of a one-bedroom apartment just across the street from UV is literally double the price.

The politics of the situation might sound nice and pretty for incoming undergraduates, but come July, will UM help these essentially homeless graduate students?

Not that additional subsidies from the university are in the question these days, but if graduates are feeling cheated, maybe the school should pay the difference between the price of UV living and the price of living at the Commons.

Certainly something to think about.

Editorial Board

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Our opinion: Administration’s expectations of graduate students unfair”

1. G says:

I wish the grad students lotsa luck finding a teaching job w/ a PhD from UM! & even more luck paying back the extra loans they will be forced to take out to pay for housing off campus. What a great graduate experience!

2. Fbm says:

This is not the first time the administration slights grad students. They cancel the provost travel grant so know there are fewer opportunities for us to obtain funding when we present at conferences ( not everyone gets departmental funding). Also, they seem to forget that a lot of grad students live off loans or small stipents. I think that undergrads still receive money from their parents – they could afford living in Red Road commons while grad students can not. I wishadmin members tried to live on 10,000 dollars a year ( that is the stipent of a masters student in the School of Music.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...