College kids take advantage of economy’s shopping discounts

Ana Alba

With tough times come tough decisions, especially for stores in today’s economy.

Many stores have reduced their prices and extended their clearance sales. The result is a potential shopper’s paradise.

To many, the number of sales in retail stores is baffling. Junior Niki Kothari wasn’t expecting the amount of sales and the quantity of merchandise on sale that she saw this season.

“Even designer stores like BCBG [Max Azria] had ’70 percent off’ sales, and that never happens,” Kothari said.

Milna Correa, an associate manager of surf and skate clothing store PacSun at Dadeland Mall, explained that at the end of each season, companies offer clearance sales to get rid of the previous season’s merchandise and make room for new products. The same clearance sales take place every year, she said. This year, however, sales in stores may have decreased over the holidays so more merchandise was placed on clearance.

“It looks like it’s a big sale because there is more merchandise,” Correa said.

This helps to explain how many stores, like Bath and Body Works, are offering up to a 90 percent discount on winter items.

Popular stores such as Linens ‘n Things have already gone out of business and Circuit City has begun its “going out of business” sale after nearly 60 years of selling electronics.

“These are tough times for an industry that sells mostly luxury items,” sophomore Jeff Shweky said.

Shweky visited Circuit City specifically to take advantage of their 10 to 30 percent markdowns.

“I went because I knew I would get a good deal,” he said. “It’s unfortunate, but one person’s loss is another person’s gain.”

Senior Jaimee Spector believes the sales are a sign.

“It is good for shoppers short-term, but if stores aren’t getting any money, it means the value of the dollar is going down, and that’s not a good sign,” she said.

“It reminds people of how bad the market is,” Kothari said. “For people tight on money, shopping is the last thing on their mind, but college kids definitely take advantage of it.”

Sale away!

Express: 40 percent off already marked down (up to 80 percent) clearance items

Victoria’s Secret Pink: 50 percent off clearance items

PacSun: 50-70 percent off select items and jeans styles for $14.99

Aldo: Up to 70 percent off select styles

Melting Pot: Recession Buster Special includes $20 four course meal, $24 on Friday and Saturday

Circuit City: 10- 30 percent Out of Business sale.

Karunya Krishnan

Contributing Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...