UM’s first Green Career Fair Wednesday

The University of Miami’s will exemplify its latest effort to be environmentally-conscious with the introduction of the first Green Career Fair.

The Toppel Career Center is hosting the event on Wednesday from 1 to 3 p.m.  The event will be held on campus at the UC lower lounge, at 1306 Stanford Drive. 

Sixteen companies are scheduled to attend, including the Environmental Protection Agency and Enterprise Rent-A-Car. Only companies with environmental organizations or with plans to ‘go green’ will be attendance, according to Veronica Soto, assistant director of Career Events at Toppel. 

“We have turned down some companies due to them not having green initiatives,” Soto said.

In an effort to make this event as green as possible, pre-registration is encouraged, but not mandatory.  The  goal of this is to have students submit their resumes so that reusable resume book can be compiled to save paper. 

“Thirty-five people have pre-registered so far and we expect more by Wednesday,” Soto said, on Friday afternoon.

Students who do not pre-register must dress in professional attire and bring a Cane Card to be admitted.  Also,they must bring printed copies of their resume as they will not be included in the pre-made resume book.

The fair is sponsored by SustainableU, a UM group established to educate and facilitate environmentally-conscious initiatives. The idea for the fair evolved last year and has also gained support from GreenU, another  organization for the environment on campus.

Opportunities are available for both undergraduate and graduate students.  Internships as well as full-time jobs will be offered, varying from company to company.

Soto is optimistic about the fair.

“I would like to see it continue,” Soto said.

What you need to know:

WHO: More than a dozen companies and environmental organizations will participate in the event.

WHAT: The 2008 Green Career Fair is an opportunity for University of Miami students and alumni to connect with environmental organizations or companies with “green” initiatives that are looking to fill internship and full-time positions.

WHERE: At the lower lounge of the University Center, on the Coral Gables campus, 1306 Stanford Drive.

WHEN: Wednesday, November 19, 1-3 p.m.

Toppel Career Center:

View Larger Map

Jared Bassman

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...