Letters to the Editor

The right to carry should be extended to UM students

The University of Miami can be seen as an oasis of greenery and security in a city known for crime and violence. Admittedly, incidents involving armed robbery and theft are not uncommon, and many students commute from areas with notoriously high levels of crime (nearby Opa-locka often shares the distinction of having the country’s highest level of crime with East Saint Louis). Perhaps the university should consider joining the debate as to whether to allow students and faculty the right to concealed carry for those who have a concealed weapon permit.

The notion may offend some liberal sensibilities, but the grim reality is that security personnel are not able to police the entire campus all hours of the day, making law-abiding students and faculty members vulnerable targets – particularly at night. I might agree that keeping guns out of the dorms is probably a good idea – the dorms are fairly secure anyway. But I see no reason why members of the community should not be allowed to secure themselves when they have proven themselves to have the competence necessary to safely handle and use a firearm and who are familiar with self-defense laws. Concealed weapon permit holders are usually not mad-eyed, on-the-lookout-for-them-terrorists psychotics, but fairly normal and peaceable people who would rather not shoot unless unavoidable in saving a life. As for liberal sensibilities, well even registered Democrats like myself should be able to see that far from turning the campus into the O.K. Corral, allowing concealed carry on campus could go a long way to prevent the next hold up or rape, or even stop a tragedy on the scale of the Virginia Tech shootings.

– Rafael Alejandro Jara

Junior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...