Stock market suffers losses, worries students

University of Miami sophomore Sarah Zemach panicked when the Dow Jones Industrials Index fell 778 points on Sept. 29, the largest single-day point loss in history.

“I was sitting in my dorm when I got a phone call from Charles Schwab saying that I owe them $13,000,” Zemach said.

She immediately called home and learned the $30,000 investment that paid for her education was lost.

“That was my money, and now I won’t have it for after college,” Zemach said.

The stock market is one of the main sources of income for Zemach’s family.

“My dad had invested tons of money into the stock market and has lost a lot recently,” Zemach said. “There’s a possibility I may take next semester off or go to a community college, but hopefully everything will work out.”

Like Zemach, junior Matt Eisenberg is also concerned with the current economic situation.

“I don’t even want to see how much money I’ve lost,” said Eisenberg, who has personal investments in the stock market.

State-sponsored 529 college savings plans are vulnerable to the declines in the stock market. Parents are attracted to the plans because the earnings are tax-free, but accounts can quickly decline as the value of stocks decrease. Money is contributed to a fund divided among stocks, bonds and other investments. Conservative options for the plan invest more heavily in bonds and money market funds, and riskier options rely on stocks.

Current UM students using 529 accounts to finance their education will not have time for the stock market to recover before they need to extract funds.

“I feel sorry for anyone who had money they needed over the next couple of years in the stock market to pay for school,” said Robert Weiss, a parent of three college students, two of whom attend the University of Miami.

“Any money you need in the next four or five years may not be there,” Weiss said. “The losses have certainly affected everybody.”

Margot Winick, assistant vice president of Media and Community Relations, said current enrollment at UM has remained steady.

“It is too early to tell the full impact of the recent turmoil in the market on UM,” Winick said.

Some students are taking advantage of the economic turmoil and market volatility and following the advice of investor Warren Buffett, who is currently buying American stocks.

“A simple rule dictates my buying,” he wrote on an op-ed New York Times column on Oct. 16. “Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful.”

Sophomore Mike DeMasco invested about $3,000 into Wachovia and American International Group stock in mid-September.

He purchased shares while the prices were low. When Wachovia started getting offers from Citigroup to purchase the bank in late September, DeMasco sold his shares for a $2,000 profit.

“The stock market can only go up at this point,” DeMasco said.  “Right now is the time to invest.”

Lauren Shepherd

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...