Rock Band Live rocks the BUC

Fans look on at Friday's Rock Band Live concert, featuring Plain White T's, Dashboard Confessional and Panic! at the Disco. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

Fans look on at Friday's Rock Band Live concert, featuring The Cab, Plain White T's, Dashboard Confessional and Panic at the Disco. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

The Rock Band Live Tour made its way to Miami Friday night, with an enjoyable night of music from The Cab, Plain White T’s, Dashboard Confessional and Panic at the Disco.

Although it only filled about half of the BankUnited Center, the concert had high energy and the bands got a good response from the crowd. Each band kept their set moving, with no long-winded speeches or ramblings from the lead singers.

Between sets was another story. Groups were invited onstage to play Rock Band as it was displayed on giant screens. What seemed like a good idea quickly lost the audience’s attention, as four people were playing while everyone else was simply watching. One redeeming moment was a group’s choice of Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ on a Prayer,” which had the entire arena singing along.

The Cab, first discovered by Panic at the Disco, played a nice punk set. They showed lots of energy, involved the crowd and got a fairly good response for a group the majority of people had never heard of.

Plain White T’s upped the stakes with a blend of vocal harmonies and instrumentation. The band switched between fast-paced rock numbers and slower acoustic songs. The crowd gladly followed the band’s instruction, singing along to their 2007 hit “Hey There Delilah.” Plain White T’s set was not as spur-of-the-moment or unscripted as the other bands, but rather was very theatrically staged.

Dashboard Confessional was very down-to-earth and entertaining, both in their music and in lead singer Chris Carrabba’s words in between songs. Carrabba and the other members seemed genuinely happy to be playing to a home crowd; most of the band members are from South Florida.

Carrabba joked, “I know half of the people here, and I’m related to the other half.”

Dashboard’s set was upbeat, and moved quickly from one song to the next with little downtime. For their last song they invited The Cab and Plain White T’s to join them onstage for their rendition of Pink’s “So What.”

Panic at the Disco held true to form, delivering an astounding performance. Fans rocked out to classics such as “Nine in the Afternoon” and “I Write Sins Not Tragedies.” The band ended their set with a hyped-up version of “Shout,” which had the whole crowd dancing and singing their way out the doors.

Overall the concert was a good way to spend a Friday night on campus, but it was a shame the BankUnited Center had so many empty seats. Tickets were a bit pricey for the average college student ($48 total for a lower level seat), but it was well worth it based on the talent.

Matthew Fuhrman

Contributing EDGE Writer

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Rock Band Live rocks the BUC”

1. Anonymouse says:

To the comment above? Dont mess. Great concert. Viva la Panic and Dashboard.

2. There4theMusic says:

Dear Miami Hurricane,

Please rewrite this article without the following words/phrases: good, talent, worth it, enjoyable, lots of energy.

We all know that none of these have ever been used in conjunction with any of the aforementioned bands.

Also perhaps you should include the sentence, “It is surprising that they sold even half the seats in the Bank United Center to watch a band whose 2007 single is just as catchy and even more annoying than Aqua’s ‘Barbie Girl.'”

Thank you, various writers and editors of the EDGE, for your continuing your streak of horrific concert reviews. Your predictability has become endearing.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...