Movie Review: ‘High School Musical 3’

Whether you’ve accidentally channel surfed through the first two High School Musical movies or you’ve unapologetically watched the Disney premieres, you at least know of the East High Wildcats. Whether you’re a fan or not, it’s hard to complain about a pop culture phenomenon built on unabashed innocence.

High School Musical 3: Senior Year picks up during senior year at East High. Frenetic screaming comes when Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) is featured in a close-up for the first 45 seconds of the movie; this ain’t your parents’ Grease.

The seniors of East High are unknowingly cast in their school’s spring musical, Senior Year. Many of their thoughts and ideas are played out on the stage or in their minds through Broadway blowout form. It almost has the same set up as Chicago, minus the sex, murder and cursing.

Director/choreographer Kenny Ortega, who has manned the helm of this ship since its conception, knows the Broadway origins and how to make this movie truly sing.

Ashley Tisdale reprises her role as high school mean girl, Sharpay Evans, who has a hapless twin brother (Lucas Grabeel).

On the big screen in a theater hopping with fans, HSM3 is Beatlemania for a new generation. Every actor on the screen has been working on HSM movies for three and a half years. This is a true graduation for these actors, their Disney days likely over.

The slower musical numbers fall flat. And there are only so many times you can stand Efron’s angst (how difficult is it being attractive?), but HSM3 is an honest jolt of feel-good fizz. You can’t dislike a school where cliques don’t exist and skin is as smooth as the dancing. If East High had been a real school, you totally would have gone.

Rating: 2.5 out of 4 stars

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...