New concert policies for Homecoming 2008, changes due to Kweli’s shut-down

The University of Miami has changed several policies involving tomorrow’s Homecoming 2008 concert, which will include performances by funk rock band N*E*R*D and opening act Kidz in the Hall, a hip-hop duo, at 9:30 p.m. at the University Green.

The policy changes were implemented due to rapper Talib Kweli’s microphone being abruptly unplugged, mid-song, during last year’s Homecoming concert, which upset many students.

“I remember thinking how messed up it was last year when Talib was cut off,” sophomore Jordan Thomas said. “I hope there isn’t a similar situation this year. That would be a real problem.”

Last year, Talib Kweli began his set nearly 30 minutes late because opening act Robert Randolph and the Family Band’s elaborate set took longer than expected.

This year, Hurricane Productions, UM’s student-run entertainment organization, is introducing a stricter opening act policy. Kidz In the Hall will be allotted a 30 to 45 minute set. After the set is complete, N*E*R*D will immediately follow with an hour and 15 minute set. The University of Miami Police Department will be involved on site, primarily to reinforce security at the event.

“It was a matter of [a miscommunication of] the delays,” said senior Andrew Hunter, Hurricane Productions’ large concert event organizer. “We’ve taken care of that this year with tighter time limits on the opening act.”

UM students are looking forward to this year’s homecoming and Hurricane Productions anticipates an even larger turnout than last year’s event.

“I expect the show to be great,” junior Mike Nyman said. “Whatever happened last year, it’s still a major show. We still get to see N*E*R*D live, and it’s all good!”

Kendra Zdravkovic

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...