Kevin Rudolf is grinding to the top

Kevin Rudolf’s colossal single “Let It Rock,” featuring Lil’ Wayne, has recently hit the top five on the Billboard charts and has left viewers wondering who in the world Kevin Rudolf is. Those curious rockers will find out on Nov. 25, when he drops his debut album In the City on the historically hip-hop label Cash Money Records.

Though Kevin Rudolf is the first pop/rock artist signed to Cash Money, there’s no doubt Rudolf is on the rise through the industry with his passion and drive for music fueling him. He is truly on his grind.

THE MIAMI HURRICANE: What initially got you interested in music?

Kevin Rudolf: I started playing the guitar when I was 12. I grew up in New York City and my mom was a singer. She would take me to clubs where she was performing. I walked into a guitar store and I saw this guitar. I didn’t know if I wanted to play it or what. I just wanted to have it and I was drawn to it. Since then I have been on my grind.

TMH: What is the most exciting thing about the music industry?

KR: The music industry is a lot of fun but it is also grind. There are a lot of politics. It is much more fun now since I got a hit single. To me the best part is to hear my music on the radio and be on MTV. The other part I love is to meet the people I respect and collaborate with them.

TMH: What has the best advice you have received?

KR: The thing about advice is you get so much and eventually you filter it out. All you can do it work hard, be yourself and do as much as you can with what you have at the moment.

TMH: What do you want people to remember you for?

KR: I want people to remember me for what I’m going to show them in this album and to get inside my world. The album has everything and I’m letting you see it through my eyes. How I grew up in New York and learning how to survive. It’s about coming up in the world and not giving in to the lower things and doing what you want to do.

TMH: Is there a particular quote you live by?

KR: Yeah [chuckling]. Get paid, get laid, and keep it moving. There is going to be too much shit is that’s going to come up in your head and you just got to remember those key principles. You think, “Am I getting paid? Am I getting laid? And am I keeping it moving?” If you got that then you’re alright!

TMH: How do you feel about the success of your first single “Let It Rock?”

KR: It’s fucking amazing. I can’t believe it is a top five single on Billboard. We sold over 100,000 singles already. And it has happened so fast. I can’t even believe it. I hoped, I believed and I expected to have success with this. Also having Wayne on it helped a lot. I’m honored by that.

TMH: Talk about being the first pop/rock artist for Cash Money, working with Wayne, Baby and CEO Slim.

KR: Cash Money is a family. They have been great with me and letting me in the family. Slim, Baby and Wayne have supported me so much with this album. Slim has never tried to change me and allowed me to be who I am. I have major respect for him for that.

Lelan LeDoux

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...