Football

Marcus Forston: Big man, bigger boom

Defensive Tackle Marcus Forston (99) lines up against UCF last Saturday. A highly touted recruit out of Miami's Northwestern High School, Forston has quickly seen playing time for the Canes. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

First, you start off with a pinch of explosiveness and a dash of size – six feet two inches and 310 pounds of lion.

Then you throw in awareness and a touch of acceleration.

Next you add some strength and a bit of aggression.

Sprinkle in great speed and Warren Sapp’s jersey number, 99.

Then you shred in some pass rush ability mixed with Hurricane.

To top it off, you add some swagger.

This makes a boom. A Big Boom.

This is Marcus Forston.

But you’re forgetting one key Forston ingredient, his special seasoning.

The flavor consists of a kind-hearted young man who is just grateful for everything he has received in life.

“In life I just motivate myself by looking and seeing people with no arms or legs who don’t have the opportunity to play football,” Forston said. “Its hurts to see that. I’m thankful I am blessed with that.”

So Forston stays true to himself and never forgets where he has come from. The two most important things in his life are his Lord and his mother.

“What inspires me in life is the man above,” Forston said. “Just growing up my mom always asked me to pray. I just know without him I wouldn’t be able to have this ability.”

Every time Forston steps onto the field, he has the goal in mind to make a better life for himself and his family. Before each game, Forston calls his mother and both read Psalm 121 together.

“What keeps me motivated is my mom,” Forston said. “Just to see the situation she is in right now, I want to get her a better life and a better life style. I want to get my degree and hopefully go to the NFL.”

Forston’s humility has influenced his everyday life. Wherever he goes, he has a smile on his face. His favorite thing about playing football is not the football aspect but the chance to build bonds and make new friends. Forston’s impression has rubbed off in the locker and with the coaching staff.

“He is happy-go-lucky and a cheerful guy – always joking around,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “They call him Big Boom. I don’t know why they call him that. You will know something is wrong with Marcus when he is not joking.”

However, Forston wasn’t always a humble young man. A younger Forston stayed home too much and felt he was overweight. He just sat and watched his two older brothers play. Football was not an option in his life then.

But he finally grew into his body, which lead to Forston capturing back-to-back state titles at Miami Northwestern, something that is dear to Forston.

Now he is at Miami, where he used to idolize great defensive linemen such as Warren Sapp, Vince Wilfork, and Russell Maryland. The first start of his career came in the second game of the season against the Florida Gators.

At this moment, Forston is putting together his legacy as a Miami Hurricane starting by being a reliable teammate.

“I want them to remember me for being a humble guy,” Forston said. “A guy who would do whatever he can for his teammates. If a guy calls me at 3 o’clock in the morning, I will be there for him.”

Still, don’t let this kind-hearted man deceive you. Forston is still a swift lion moving on the field that is looking for the opportunity to leave a lasting impression on his opponents, leaving them having felt the Big Boom.

Lelan LeDoux

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Marcus Forston: Big man, bigger boom”

1. ZMAN says:

GOD BLESS YOU MARCUS FORSTON.

2. Gary Abbott says:

This young man has his priorities right…His relationship with Jesus first,

and then to honor, love, and respect his mother.

Glad to see Coach Shannon is doing a great job towards changing the “U’s imiage

with fine young men like this who can be a friend and influence others who are

not there yet.

God Bless You Young “Mr. Forston” And May He Always Keep Your Back.

Gary Abbott…AKA “Christian Cowboy” Kansas City, MO Class of 1973

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement harnesses technology to seek affordab ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...