Marcus Forston: Big man, bigger boom

Defensive Tackle Marcus Forston (99) lines up against UCF last Saturday. A highly touted recruit out of Miami's Northwestern High School, Forston has quickly seen playing time for the Canes. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

First, you start off with a pinch of explosiveness and a dash of size – six feet two inches and 310 pounds of lion.

Then you throw in awareness and a touch of acceleration.

Next you add some strength and a bit of aggression.

Sprinkle in great speed and Warren Sapp’s jersey number, 99.

Then you shred in some pass rush ability mixed with Hurricane.

To top it off, you add some swagger.

This makes a boom. A Big Boom.

This is Marcus Forston.

But you’re forgetting one key Forston ingredient, his special seasoning.

The flavor consists of a kind-hearted young man who is just grateful for everything he has received in life.

“In life I just motivate myself by looking and seeing people with no arms or legs who don’t have the opportunity to play football,” Forston said. “Its hurts to see that. I’m thankful I am blessed with that.”

So Forston stays true to himself and never forgets where he has come from. The two most important things in his life are his Lord and his mother.

“What inspires me in life is the man above,” Forston said. “Just growing up my mom always asked me to pray. I just know without him I wouldn’t be able to have this ability.”

Every time Forston steps onto the field, he has the goal in mind to make a better life for himself and his family. Before each game, Forston calls his mother and both read Psalm 121 together.

“What keeps me motivated is my mom,” Forston said. “Just to see the situation she is in right now, I want to get her a better life and a better life style. I want to get my degree and hopefully go to the NFL.”

Forston’s humility has influenced his everyday life. Wherever he goes, he has a smile on his face. His favorite thing about playing football is not the football aspect but the chance to build bonds and make new friends. Forston’s impression has rubbed off in the locker and with the coaching staff.

“He is happy-go-lucky and a cheerful guy – always joking around,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “They call him Big Boom. I don’t know why they call him that. You will know something is wrong with Marcus when he is not joking.”

However, Forston wasn’t always a humble young man. A younger Forston stayed home too much and felt he was overweight. He just sat and watched his two older brothers play. Football was not an option in his life then.

But he finally grew into his body, which lead to Forston capturing back-to-back state titles at Miami Northwestern, something that is dear to Forston.

Now he is at Miami, where he used to idolize great defensive linemen such as Warren Sapp, Vince Wilfork, and Russell Maryland. The first start of his career came in the second game of the season against the Florida Gators.

At this moment, Forston is putting together his legacy as a Miami Hurricane starting by being a reliable teammate.

“I want them to remember me for being a humble guy,” Forston said. “A guy who would do whatever he can for his teammates. If a guy calls me at 3 o’clock in the morning, I will be there for him.”

Still, don’t let this kind-hearted man deceive you. Forston is still a swift lion moving on the field that is looking for the opportunity to leave a lasting impression on his opponents, leaving them having felt the Big Boom.

Lelan LeDoux

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Junior Dewi Weber will become the first University of Miami golfer to compete in the Arnold Palmer C ...

FAU used a six-run ninth inning to pull past Miami Wednesday night at Mark Light Field, capturing an ...

Freshman Daniel Federman will look to make it wins in two straight starts when the Miami Hurricanes ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...