Football

Marcus Forston: Big man, bigger boom

Defensive Tackle Marcus Forston (99) lines up against UCF last Saturday. A highly touted recruit out of Miami's Northwestern High School, Forston has quickly seen playing time for the Canes. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

First, you start off with a pinch of explosiveness and a dash of size – six feet two inches and 310 pounds of lion.

Then you throw in awareness and a touch of acceleration.

Next you add some strength and a bit of aggression.

Sprinkle in great speed and Warren Sapp’s jersey number, 99.

Then you shred in some pass rush ability mixed with Hurricane.

To top it off, you add some swagger.

This makes a boom. A Big Boom.

This is Marcus Forston.

But you’re forgetting one key Forston ingredient, his special seasoning.

The flavor consists of a kind-hearted young man who is just grateful for everything he has received in life.

“In life I just motivate myself by looking and seeing people with no arms or legs who don’t have the opportunity to play football,” Forston said. “Its hurts to see that. I’m thankful I am blessed with that.”

So Forston stays true to himself and never forgets where he has come from. The two most important things in his life are his Lord and his mother.

“What inspires me in life is the man above,” Forston said. “Just growing up my mom always asked me to pray. I just know without him I wouldn’t be able to have this ability.”

Every time Forston steps onto the field, he has the goal in mind to make a better life for himself and his family. Before each game, Forston calls his mother and both read Psalm 121 together.

“What keeps me motivated is my mom,” Forston said. “Just to see the situation she is in right now, I want to get her a better life and a better life style. I want to get my degree and hopefully go to the NFL.”

Forston’s humility has influenced his everyday life. Wherever he goes, he has a smile on his face. His favorite thing about playing football is not the football aspect but the chance to build bonds and make new friends. Forston’s impression has rubbed off in the locker and with the coaching staff.

“He is happy-go-lucky and a cheerful guy – always joking around,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “They call him Big Boom. I don’t know why they call him that. You will know something is wrong with Marcus when he is not joking.”

However, Forston wasn’t always a humble young man. A younger Forston stayed home too much and felt he was overweight. He just sat and watched his two older brothers play. Football was not an option in his life then.

But he finally grew into his body, which lead to Forston capturing back-to-back state titles at Miami Northwestern, something that is dear to Forston.

Now he is at Miami, where he used to idolize great defensive linemen such as Warren Sapp, Vince Wilfork, and Russell Maryland. The first start of his career came in the second game of the season against the Florida Gators.

At this moment, Forston is putting together his legacy as a Miami Hurricane starting by being a reliable teammate.

“I want them to remember me for being a humble guy,” Forston said. “A guy who would do whatever he can for his teammates. If a guy calls me at 3 o’clock in the morning, I will be there for him.”

Still, don’t let this kind-hearted man deceive you. Forston is still a swift lion moving on the field that is looking for the opportunity to leave a lasting impression on his opponents, leaving them having felt the Big Boom.

Lelan LeDoux

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Marcus Forston: Big man, bigger boom”

1. ZMAN says:

GOD BLESS YOU MARCUS FORSTON.

2. Gary Abbott says:

This young man has his priorities right…His relationship with Jesus first,

and then to honor, love, and respect his mother.

Glad to see Coach Shannon is doing a great job towards changing the “U’s imiage

with fine young men like this who can be a friend and influence others who are

not there yet.

God Bless You Young “Mr. Forston” And May He Always Keep Your Back.

Gary Abbott…AKA “Christian Cowboy” Kansas City, MO Class of 1973

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...