Letters to the Editor

Not quite a racist approach

On Saturday, Sept. 27, I was walking shirtless in my neighborhood, going to work out. A police officer, my neighbor from within a block, stopped me and demanded my information saying, “You don’t belong here.” I’m black and he’s Hispanic. Our southwest neighborhood near the intersection of Red and Bird roads is almost entirely Hispanic. I don’t mind his stopping me. I’m not writing this to discuss or suggest racial profiling. My real problem is that, after my providing him with the information he requested, after telling him that we’re neighbors, he continued with that hideous language. “You don’t belong here.” I told him that a month earlier, another neighbor followed me in his car while I was walking to the grocery store in broad daylight and also told me, “You don’t belong here.” The officer replied, “Do you find that odd?”

Hm. I would’ve expected that an officer of the law would inquire to know more about a neighbor of his engaging in such tactics so that he could stop it. But not this time. Not this officer.

I’m writing this for two reasons: to wake people up about folks like these two neighbors of mine, and to wake people up about themselves.

I’m glad that I’m in this situation. If these gentlemen have previously had impunity in representing the police department and my neighborhood as discriminatory, I’m glad I can bring some attention to that prejudice. No person has the right to treat another this way, and certainly not a police officer – I, too, pay my taxes (read: his salary). If you know of such injustices, speak out. Silence isn’t the answer! Avoiding the police or avoiding neighbors to circumvent conflict when you’ve done nothing wrong is ridiculous. I’ve now been a victim of this closed-mindedness twice, in MY OWN NEIGHBORHOOD. I shudder to think – what if I had been subjugated like this, but was less self-confident? Unfortunately, some people out there may fit that description, and just never told anybody!

If you consider yourself as accepting and tolerant, then the right way to react to this is NOT to preach your opinion of “them” or “how they are.” If you’re really accepting and tolerant, you’ll realize that there is no “them” at all.

Ironically, this story is simultaneously way bigger and way smaller than a question of ethnic harmony. It’s bigger because it’s about how members of humanity treat each other. Ethnic relations represent only a part of the whole picture of human interactions. People are treated certain ways because of their gender, wealth, social status, physical abilities, sexual orientation, religion… anything that makes them different. My story points out ugly separations created along ethnic lines, but while you, reading this, may abhor racism, think about what lines you separate along in your day-to-day life. Who do you cast out?

I say this story is far smaller than a grand question of ethnic relations because these are just two guys. I have many other neighbors with whom I get along great. I asked one of those neighbors if we had a neighborhood council or anything like that, and she said, “You know, we don’t. But we should.”

Each of us should try to save the world; home is a great place to start.

– Rob Collins

First Year Law Student

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Not quite a racist approach”

1. Jerals says:

Why didn’t you mind his stopping you?! What do you feel gave him the right to interrupt your day and twice say that you don’t belong here?! Did he stop you officially as a “police officer” because of something suspicious or even worse because you were walking without a shirt and you are black or as a deranged neighbor asking for your papers? If you had kept on walking and not stopped and produced identification or if you hadn’t any identification or had refused to answer, would he have detained you for further questioning and possibly arrested you or used violence against you? So what did you end up doing besides sharing a story with this lunatic? I would have demanded his identification or badge number and written up a complaint against this psycho. But to begin with, I wouldn’t have turned around and answered the question/threat directed at you – the you don’t belong here. Unfortunately, the police have lots of power and if you hadn’t stopped and shared your story, he might have grabbed you, roughed you up, planted drugs on you, and lied about the whole thing. Imagine the fear undocumented immigrants face daily as they have to tiptoe by gestapo jerks like this. I’m sorry your neighbor treated you like this. I would spread the word about his nasty behavior, take down his information, and write up a complaint against him so that if he ever does try to set you up in the future there will be a paper trail exposing his shameful behavior.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...