Hurriqueen: How serious is that fling in the stacks? UMPD will tell you.

We’ve all heard rumors about sex in the stacks, the upper levels of the library that are often near-empty at night. But the Hurriqueen wondered, does it ever actually happen? Do students actually have the nerve to get nasty in public places on campus? So two weeks ago, we asked you, our loyal readers, to give us the 411. Part one of our investigation follows.

A reader who asked to go by the name of Jack London said that he is living proof that the books in the stacks have indeed seen a lot more action than reading.

“It was spring break during my sophomore year at UM and my long-distance girlfriend was coming to visit,” Jack says. “The first night she gets in my roommate could not get the hint to leave the dorm room. Next thing I know we are on the sixth floor of the stacks in Richter going at it seated rear entry… it’s the only time I can say those chairs weren’t used for studying!”

Just when we thought it couldn’t get more public that that, a reader who goes by the pseudonym Amanda Lenox wrote claiming she has had sex with her boyfriend on one of the orange sliders on the UC Patio.

“It was like 4:30 in the morning, we were drunk, and we had just gotten back to campus from going out,” Amanda divulges. “No one was around and as far as I know, no one saw us.”

But of course, this begs an important question: What if Amanda did get caught? Would she and her boyfriend receive a slap on the wrist or face much graver repercussions for their actions?

In an interview with The Miami Hurricane, Lt. William Gerlach of the University of Miami Police Department, warned that consequences are determined on a case-by-case basis.

“If an officer were to see people engaging in that kind of sexual activity or if someone went and filed a report, there could be criminal charges depending on the situation,” Gerlach said. “If two people are completely nude having sex, that could result in criminal charges because it would probably be considered lewd and lascivious behavior or exposure of sexual organs.”

Though Gerlach did not provide examples of incidents in which students have been caught, he did say campus police aware that sex on campus is a reality.

“There’s always rumors and stories,” he said. “[Public sexual activity] has happened; there’s activity in the stacks and we get complaints here and there.”

Gerlach said that while public indecency on campus is a legal issue, it is also one of concern to the Dean of Students. Stay tuned for part two of our investigation, in which we will explore actions the Dean of Students office takes against students found to have sex on campus.

The Hurriqueen

Advice Columnist

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...