Hurriqueen: Overcoming addictions requires work

Dear Hurriqueen,

I’m concerned that my life is spiraling out of control. I drink all the time, even before class or running errands during the week. I regularly pop Adderall, snort cocaine and smoke weed. I miss class all the time, and it’s impacting my grades in my new classes. I want to approach my professors about it, but I’m worried that it will negatively impact me even more. Some of my friends have even stopped hanging out with me because of how crazy I get. But I feel like I have no one to trust. Who can I turn to that won’t think I’m some junkie?

~Losing Grip

Dear Reader,

I want you to be proud of yourself for having the courage to admit that you have a problem. Although you are writing to me anonymously, honestly communicating that you are “spiraling out of control” is the first step to recovery.

Within the past two years, all of us celeb news junkies (no pun intended) have witnessed Britney lose her mind and shave her head; Lindsay race up Pacific Coast Highway while high or drunk on Lord knows what; and Paris head off to the slammer for slamming a few too many and then driving – something she probably shouldn’t even do sober. The common denominator? Alcohol or drug abuse, according to Us Weekly.

Today, all of my crazy Hollywood bitches have gotten their act together. And so can you. Don’t get me wrong – clearly, this queen isn’t qualified to guide you on the path to recovery. However, I’d like to think that I can help you approach this situation with a fresh mindset and steer you in the right direction to people who can help you make the decision to get clean.

On that note, do what Brit and Linds did: Seek help from professionals who know what they’re doing. The only way you can begin to recover is to understand why you have developed an addiction and learn to control your cravings. It’s much easier said than done, but a visit to the university’s Counseling Center will give you the chance to meet people who can assist you with this. Plus, they work with students with problems all the time, so who better to turn to? You can visit miami.edu/counseling-center for more information on their policies and a number you can call. I visited once when I needed guidance, and I found the professionals there to be helpful, personal, understanding, non-judgmental and confidential.

I wish I had a foolproof 5-step guide to solving your problem that would fit in this 500 word column. But the reality is this situation isn’t black and white and there are no shortcuts. For yourself and for those who love you, please visit the Counseling Center. 

XOXO,

The Hurriqueen

Send responses and questions to hurriqueen@themiamihurricane.com.

The Hurriqueen

Advice Columnist

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...