Hurriqueen: Overcoming addictions requires work

Dear Hurriqueen,

I’m concerned that my life is spiraling out of control. I drink all the time, even before class or running errands during the week. I regularly pop Adderall, snort cocaine and smoke weed. I miss class all the time, and it’s impacting my grades in my new classes. I want to approach my professors about it, but I’m worried that it will negatively impact me even more. Some of my friends have even stopped hanging out with me because of how crazy I get. But I feel like I have no one to trust. Who can I turn to that won’t think I’m some junkie?

~Losing Grip

Dear Reader,

I want you to be proud of yourself for having the courage to admit that you have a problem. Although you are writing to me anonymously, honestly communicating that you are “spiraling out of control” is the first step to recovery.

Within the past two years, all of us celeb news junkies (no pun intended) have witnessed Britney lose her mind and shave her head; Lindsay race up Pacific Coast Highway while high or drunk on Lord knows what; and Paris head off to the slammer for slamming a few too many and then driving – something she probably shouldn’t even do sober. The common denominator? Alcohol or drug abuse, according to Us Weekly.

Today, all of my crazy Hollywood bitches have gotten their act together. And so can you. Don’t get me wrong – clearly, this queen isn’t qualified to guide you on the path to recovery. However, I’d like to think that I can help you approach this situation with a fresh mindset and steer you in the right direction to people who can help you make the decision to get clean.

On that note, do what Brit and Linds did: Seek help from professionals who know what they’re doing. The only way you can begin to recover is to understand why you have developed an addiction and learn to control your cravings. It’s much easier said than done, but a visit to the university’s Counseling Center will give you the chance to meet people who can assist you with this. Plus, they work with students with problems all the time, so who better to turn to? You can visit miami.edu/counseling-center for more information on their policies and a number you can call. I visited once when I needed guidance, and I found the professionals there to be helpful, personal, understanding, non-judgmental and confidential.

I wish I had a foolproof 5-step guide to solving your problem that would fit in this 500 word column. But the reality is this situation isn’t black and white and there are no shortcuts. For yourself and for those who love you, please visit the Counseling Center. 

XOXO,

The Hurriqueen

Send responses and questions to hurriqueen@themiamihurricane.com.

The Hurriqueen

Advice Columnist

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...