Letters to the Editor

Dear Sara Phillips

Dear Sara Phillips, light of my life:

Oh, Sara, you really are swell. We are all so happy that your incredible 900-word letter to the editor last issue took up practically an entire page – wow, you enlightened us beyond cosmic belief. No fact, all rants and mean, evil words of jealousy and rage. Really, you are so profound, insulting your fellow “clamorous cluster of Canes” and poor Felipe Yanez, who happens to be a renowned and highly-regarded UM student who’s just trying to make a living and give you a bit of leisurely reading material (while you’re not being a Negative Nancy and a sick sad human being who enjoys inflicting pain on others).

Sara, dear, please allow me to give you a few words of advice for the next time you consider writing another letter to the editor:

To put it simply, sweetheart, you’re suffering from a troubling case of cognitive dissonance: you want so badly to be noticed, to be heard, to be accepted and received well by your peers, but your self-destructiveness, stubbornness and cold heart will not allow you to go about that goal in a more positive, productive way.

It’s clear that you want to write something in the paper; perhaps even be a regular writer – a contributor and a team-player. The Miami Hurricane is a student paper, is it not? You are a student, are you not? If you wanted so badly to be heard, you could have spoken to Joshua Newman, opinion editor, Chelsea Kate Isaacs, news editor, Pravin Patel, sports editor, or Dan Buyanovsky, EDGE editor.

They would, I’m sure, be happy to help you on your road to recovery – out of the darkness and on to the pathway to becoming an acclaimed writer.

But no. You couldn’t just talk to those people and say, “I want to write for the paper because I have many great ideas to share with our community.”

Instead, you had to make babies cry, and little happy flowers wilt and the sky went gray and Ike shook his head and said, “I’m not going to Miami, cause they already have a dark cloud over that town it’s called Sara Phillips.”

Sara, we all want to help. Just let us.

Love,

Michael Speedman

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...