Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Response to Mr. Heacock

In response to Mr. Heacock:

I find it nothing short of hilarious that Mr. Heacock would proclaim himself a patriot and then openly boast of his own complacency with the very things he admonishes. He spends an entire article whining about what he perceives to be wrong with the country, then calls for others to do as he does and sit on his hands when the chance to change it arises?

I think Thomas Jefferson might have had more than words with you, sir.

Oh, but I must say, my favorite part of your rhetoric rant was, and I quote, “Exactly what will Obama bring? More socialism? More wars? Less freedom? Sounds like more of the same to me.”

Obviously your high school English teacher failed you, so I will enlighten: Real writers use sources. Where did you happen to pull those from? More socialism, wars, and less freedom? Did you suffer an aneurysm while writing that piece? I wouldn’t be surprised if you did; reading it almost gave me one.

So yes, good readers, the lesson here is this: If you see something wrong, don’t do anything about it. Convince yourself there is nothing you can do about it, and wander about in a state of complete apathy while at the same time professing that you are aware of it. With that I pose this: Is there a more vulgar violation of liberty than failing to utilize it?

Granted, the political system is anything but ideal. I would be hard pressed to be convinced otherwise. But if spouting random, incoherent statements about a candidate seeking to represent you and then calling for a boycott of the very system this country was founded on is the solution, I’ll keep my tinfoil hat on, thank you.

Trust me, Mr. Heacock: stick to finance.

– Paul Petrequin, first year law student

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...