CD Review: Young Jeezy – The Recession

The ball is still bouncing in Young Jeezy’s court as he dropped his third studio album, The Recession. Jeezy took a completely different approach with The Recession compared to his first two albums, Thug Motivation 101 and The Inspiration. The Recession focuses more on the economy and the decline of society, but Jeezy is still able to throw in his hustler tracks on the album.

The album starts with an aural collage of some 2008 news reports concerning America going broke and being in a recession. Jeezy enters with his trademark raspy southern voice, preaching about the drought the nation is going through.

As you press next, Jeezy gets your blood boiling with “Welcome Back” and follows it up with a clever hook in “By the Way.”

“Circulate” is a perfect track in which Jeezy raps about the economy, stating that “nothing going up but the rent.”
Jeezy carries a savvy attitude in “What They Want” and brings a smooth harmony to “Everything” with buttery-smooth Anthony Hamilton and Lil’ Boosie.

In his second single “Vacation,” Jeezy stresses that he needs a vacation, relating to the average Joe. And yes, Jeezy drops classical beats on this album, but not as many as he did on Thug Motivation 101 and The Inspiration. “Amazin,” “Who Dat,” “Get Allot” and his first single “Put On” are a few of these.

Jeezy even gives his attention to politics and shows his support for presidential candidate Barack Obama, as in “Crazy World” and “My President,” with special guest Nas.

This is by far the best lyrical album Young Jeezy has put out. Young Jeezy proved with The Recession that he is one of the elite rappers in the south and, more importantly, the nation.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

Lelan LeDoux

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...