CD Review: Young Jeezy – The Recession

The ball is still bouncing in Young Jeezy’s court as he dropped his third studio album, The Recession. Jeezy took a completely different approach with The Recession compared to his first two albums, Thug Motivation 101 and The Inspiration. The Recession focuses more on the economy and the decline of society, but Jeezy is still able to throw in his hustler tracks on the album.

The album starts with an aural collage of some 2008 news reports concerning America going broke and being in a recession. Jeezy enters with his trademark raspy southern voice, preaching about the drought the nation is going through.

As you press next, Jeezy gets your blood boiling with “Welcome Back” and follows it up with a clever hook in “By the Way.”

“Circulate” is a perfect track in which Jeezy raps about the economy, stating that “nothing going up but the rent.”
Jeezy carries a savvy attitude in “What They Want” and brings a smooth harmony to “Everything” with buttery-smooth Anthony Hamilton and Lil’ Boosie.

In his second single “Vacation,” Jeezy stresses that he needs a vacation, relating to the average Joe. And yes, Jeezy drops classical beats on this album, but not as many as he did on Thug Motivation 101 and The Inspiration. “Amazin,” “Who Dat,” “Get Allot” and his first single “Put On” are a few of these.

Jeezy even gives his attention to politics and shows his support for presidential candidate Barack Obama, as in “Crazy World” and “My President,” with special guest Nas.

This is by far the best lyrical album Young Jeezy has put out. Young Jeezy proved with The Recession that he is one of the elite rappers in the south and, more importantly, the nation.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

Lelan LeDoux

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “CD Review: Young Jeezy – The Recession”

1. Jade says:

This man is the truth! I am a single mom with some experiences lately with people from different brackets of society. A boyfriend namely. This stuff you hear about in the streets is real. You see the recession hittin every walk of life. The new thugs are the corporate men in the suits stealing all of the stocks. And yes like he saya, “I need a vacash!!!”

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...