CD Review: Young Jeezy – The Recession

The ball is still bouncing in Young Jeezy’s court as he dropped his third studio album, The Recession. Jeezy took a completely different approach with The Recession compared to his first two albums, Thug Motivation 101 and The Inspiration. The Recession focuses more on the economy and the decline of society, but Jeezy is still able to throw in his hustler tracks on the album.

The album starts with an aural collage of some 2008 news reports concerning America going broke and being in a recession. Jeezy enters with his trademark raspy southern voice, preaching about the drought the nation is going through.

As you press next, Jeezy gets your blood boiling with “Welcome Back” and follows it up with a clever hook in “By the Way.”

“Circulate” is a perfect track in which Jeezy raps about the economy, stating that “nothing going up but the rent.”
Jeezy carries a savvy attitude in “What They Want” and brings a smooth harmony to “Everything” with buttery-smooth Anthony Hamilton and Lil’ Boosie.

In his second single “Vacation,” Jeezy stresses that he needs a vacation, relating to the average Joe. And yes, Jeezy drops classical beats on this album, but not as many as he did on Thug Motivation 101 and The Inspiration. “Amazin,” “Who Dat,” “Get Allot” and his first single “Put On” are a few of these.

Jeezy even gives his attention to politics and shows his support for presidential candidate Barack Obama, as in “Crazy World” and “My President,” with special guest Nas.

This is by far the best lyrical album Young Jeezy has put out. Young Jeezy proved with The Recession that he is one of the elite rappers in the south and, more importantly, the nation.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

Lelan LeDoux