Terror birds: the tyrants of Patagonia

Following the extinction of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, surviving species rapidly radiated across the planet, evolving into myriad bizarre and beautiful forms. In South America, an island continent until three million years ago, many weird and wonderful species emerged and disappeared. Three-toed horses, giant ground sloths, weird-hoofed mammals, giant rodents, and marvelous marsupials called South America home for millions of years.

In this environment, one family of dinosaurs – the birds – ascended to the summit of the food chain. The Phorusrhacids – or “terror birds” – armed with hooked wings, curved beaks, razor-sharp talons and attitudes to match, swiftly filled the niche of the predatory theropod dinosaurs. The earliest species, the Psilopterinae, stood up to three feet tall and hunted small mammals. By 15 million years ago, enormous terror birds prowled the Pampas. Giants like Kelenken guillermoi, Phorusrhacos, and Titanis were the Tyrannosaurus rex of their day. Kelenken stood 10 feet tall, weighed 300 pounds, and wielded an 18-inch-long beak. Its 28-inch skull was so large that it could easily wolf down a pony-size three-toed horse. The large terror birds aggressively pursued the hoofed mammals – the camel-like liptopterns, the horses, and the rhino-sized toxodonts – with lightning speed. It is believed that the largest terror birds could accelerate to 30 miles per hour, and would often do so when hunting their prey. Active predators, they hunted the herds of hoofed mammals and the giant rodents unchallenged for millions of years.

Unchallenged, that is, until the Great American Interchange. The GAI 3 million years ago was one of the most important events in American prehistory, the product of the volcanic formation of Central America. Species from North America, like camels, jaguars, dogs, and saber-toothed cats crossed the new land bridge into South America, resulting in the displacement of many South American species. Unlike South America’s unfortunate marsupials, terror birds, armadillos, and ground sloths endured the interchange, becoming some of the only species to migrate northward into the United States. Titanis fossils have been found in places as distant as Argentina and Florida, a testament to a successful evolutionary design. Despite this success, the last of the terror birds went extinct 1.8 million years ago, though some unproven evidence suggests that they survived until the mass extinction 10,000 years ago.

Andrew Blitman

Science Columnist

5 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Terror birds: the tyrants of Patagonia”

1. Incognito says:

Why wouldn’t an evolutionary biologist find an evolution-related article interesting? I’d bet anybody with an open mind and an interest in science would find nature’s bizarre creations provocative. Clearly someone should learn to inform itself before making an opinion

2. goo says:

that part about weird and wonderful forms is an opinion, personally i find them frightening and with too large a appetite

3. Elizabeth says:

I agree with the first comment. This article wouldn’t be interesting to a college student who has aspirations of becoming a paleontologist or evolutionary biologist, much less any other major. It may be interesting to the writer. It may be fairly well written. It may even be grammatically correct. What it is not is an opinion piece. Putting this article in the “Opinion” category is ridiculous. Is there one sentence in this entire article that would even qualify as opinion? Don’t bother looking back over it. The answer is no.

4. Danny says:

What does this have to do with anything?

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...