Football

Canes trounce Charleston Southern, 52-7

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=10″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” /]

The Miami Hurricanes opened the 2008 season with a resounding 52-7 victory over Charleston Southern, christening their new home Dolphin Stadium.

With starting quarterback Robert Marve suspended for the opening game, true freshman Jacory Harris took the helm and did not disappoint. On the Canes opening drive, Harris scored on a 30-yard fourth-down run.

A poised Harris finished 16-for-26 for 190 yards and one touchdown pass. He also led the Hurricanes to four touchdowns on the first four drives.

“[Harris] is always calm,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “He is happy-go-lucky. He understands the game of football. He has that football blood in him.”

Harris was the first true freshman in school history to start quarterback in a season opener. The last freshman to start the season opener was redshirt freshman Bernie Kosar in 1983.

“I am always putting the team first. I just want to go out there and play,” Harris said after the game. “Coach Shannon is a great coach and I take it as it goes.”

Miami finished with 416 total yards compared to Charleston Southern’s 126. For Miami, 224 yards came on the ground as the running backs added four touchdowns.

TAKE TO THE AIR: True freshman Jacory Harris led the Hurricanes to a 52-7 defeat of Charleston Southern University Thursday night. Harris finished finished 16-for-26 for 190 yards and two total touchdowns, including a 30-yard fourth-down scramble.

Javarris James led all rushers with 73 yards.The star of the defense was senior linebacker Spencer Adkins who totaled 2 sacks in the first half.

In the first half, 14 true freshmen were on the playing field for the Hurricanes.

“Like I said before, we are going to play young guys,” Shannon said. We have a lot of confidence in these young guys. We are going to do the same thing next week and weeks to follow.”

Sophomore Graig Cooper opened the second half for the Hurricanes returning a punt 66 yards for a touchdown; Cooper finished with two total touchdowns.

“It was great to see that,” Shannon said. “He did well.”

Charleston Southern finally got on the board with 3:39 remaining in the third quarter with four-yard touchdown pass.

Shannon was also pleased how the fans came out to support the Hurricanes in their opening game.

“The west end-zone was rowdy,” Shannon said. “The student section was rowdy. The fans were into the game.”

Lelan LeDoux

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...