Football

Canes trounce Charleston Southern, 52-7

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=10″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” /]

The Miami Hurricanes opened the 2008 season with a resounding 52-7 victory over Charleston Southern, christening their new home Dolphin Stadium.

With starting quarterback Robert Marve suspended for the opening game, true freshman Jacory Harris took the helm and did not disappoint. On the Canes opening drive, Harris scored on a 30-yard fourth-down run.

A poised Harris finished 16-for-26 for 190 yards and one touchdown pass. He also led the Hurricanes to four touchdowns on the first four drives.

“[Harris] is always calm,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “He is happy-go-lucky. He understands the game of football. He has that football blood in him.”

Harris was the first true freshman in school history to start quarterback in a season opener. The last freshman to start the season opener was redshirt freshman Bernie Kosar in 1983.

“I am always putting the team first. I just want to go out there and play,” Harris said after the game. “Coach Shannon is a great coach and I take it as it goes.”

Miami finished with 416 total yards compared to Charleston Southern’s 126. For Miami, 224 yards came on the ground as the running backs added four touchdowns.

TAKE TO THE AIR: True freshman Jacory Harris led the Hurricanes to a 52-7 defeat of Charleston Southern University Thursday night. Harris finished finished 16-for-26 for 190 yards and two total touchdowns, including a 30-yard fourth-down scramble.

Javarris James led all rushers with 73 yards.The star of the defense was senior linebacker Spencer Adkins who totaled 2 sacks in the first half.

In the first half, 14 true freshmen were on the playing field for the Hurricanes.

“Like I said before, we are going to play young guys,” Shannon said. We have a lot of confidence in these young guys. We are going to do the same thing next week and weeks to follow.”

Sophomore Graig Cooper opened the second half for the Hurricanes returning a punt 66 yards for a touchdown; Cooper finished with two total touchdowns.

“It was great to see that,” Shannon said. “He did well.”

Charleston Southern finally got on the board with 3:39 remaining in the third quarter with four-yard touchdown pass.

Shannon was also pleased how the fans came out to support the Hurricanes in their opening game.

“The west end-zone was rowdy,” Shannon said. “The student section was rowdy. The fans were into the game.”

Lelan LeDoux

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...