Ranking improvement means improved student life

According to U.S. News and World Report, UM has a ranking of 51….whatever that means. All we know is that every year that number continues to shrink; which is a good thing. But for all of us who aren’t applying to schools anymore and don’t need to impress our friends that got into schools ranked, say, 52, there’s more to care about. 

If you have eyes, you see the immense beauty around this Coral Gables campus. Under the surface though, there are a few kinks that need ironing. Fortunately, our administration has kept a neat laundry list of improvements that need to take place. 

One by one, from a Glatt Kosher Deli to the new “UBike” program, from updated classrooms to additional green space, the university is taking strides to provide its students’ with the best ways of getting the best education. 

If you’ve ever had class in Dooley Memorial, you’re probably aware of the noisy, shaky air conditioning units that litter each room. Worry no more, for now we have central air. What a concept! Even if you don’t have class in there, it wouldn’t hurt to go check out the improvements that transformed that building’s classrooms from a 1920s silent film (minus the A/C units) to a futuristic learning zone.

For the amount of money we spend each semester, we deserve the best. For all of those freshmen out there who don’t know the days of old, don’t take these things for granted. 

When those John Deere tractors start ripping up the UC and are getting in the way of your walk to class, just know that in the end it’s for the better. If we expect the best, there are sacrifices that must be made. Who knows, maybe someday we’ll be 50.

Editorial Board

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...