Football

No Excuses: Football teams looks to impress critics

With no votes in the AP or USA Today Coaches Poll, this year’s Miami Hurricanes will have considerable ground to gain to reach the pinnacle of college football. Last season was the first time in 10 years the Hurricanes missed out on a bowl game.

“When you’re 5-7, you’re not going to get any votes,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “We’re expecting to be a much better team than we were last year.”

Regardless of the program’s recent struggles, the Miami Hurricanes remain unified under second-year coach Shannon.

“We’re following our leader, Coach Shannon,” quarterback Robert Marve said. “We’re not going to start off as the No. 1 offense in the nation or the No. 1 defense in the nation, but we are going to be a great team together. And that’s the way we’re going to go at the nation. I feel great about where we’re going and where we’re headed.”

After a season full of disappointments, this team’s attitude is never more evident than in their motto “No Excuses.” The team has created wristbands sporting the slogan to remind players that they need to be responsible for their own actions.

“Maybe last year the team was making too many excuses,” Shannon said. “This team is different. When you have that team and that concept in them, it’s going to be good for them.”

Sophomore guard Orlando Franklin reflected on how last season was a letdown, and how he looks forward to a brand new year.

“We worked so hard toward games last year,” Franklin said. “We put so much time into it. Last year it hurt a lot. Fortunately, it is in the past. We have a whole new season in front of us, to do better. We can make ourselves a whole lot better.”

This positive outlook is shared by the players and coaching staff alike.

“We’re excited about the things we’ve got to accomplish this season,” Shannon said. “We’re looking for a better season than we had last year. The coaching staff and players on the team feel good about this season. We’re also expecting some guys coming in as freshmen to help us out.”

The Hurricanes obtained another elite recruiting class, regarded by some as the No. 1 recruiting class in the nation. Incoming freshmen are ecstatic about the upcoming season.

“We have a great group of guys,” freshman cornerback Brandon Harris said. “I’m excited to be on the team and for the season to start.”

“I can feel this bond,” freshman defensive tackle Marcus Forston said. “I see a family coming together.”

Players and the coaching staff are confident that Shannon will bring the Canes back to national prominence.

“We just follow our leader, coach Shannon,” freshman wide receiver LaRon Byrd said. “I know he is going to lead us to the promised land.”

Lelan LeDoux

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...