Football

No Excuses: Football teams looks to impress critics

With no votes in the AP or USA Today Coaches Poll, this year’s Miami Hurricanes will have considerable ground to gain to reach the pinnacle of college football. Last season was the first time in 10 years the Hurricanes missed out on a bowl game.

“When you’re 5-7, you’re not going to get any votes,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “We’re expecting to be a much better team than we were last year.”

Regardless of the program’s recent struggles, the Miami Hurricanes remain unified under second-year coach Shannon.

“We’re following our leader, Coach Shannon,” quarterback Robert Marve said. “We’re not going to start off as the No. 1 offense in the nation or the No. 1 defense in the nation, but we are going to be a great team together. And that’s the way we’re going to go at the nation. I feel great about where we’re going and where we’re headed.”

After a season full of disappointments, this team’s attitude is never more evident than in their motto “No Excuses.” The team has created wristbands sporting the slogan to remind players that they need to be responsible for their own actions.

“Maybe last year the team was making too many excuses,” Shannon said. “This team is different. When you have that team and that concept in them, it’s going to be good for them.”

Sophomore guard Orlando Franklin reflected on how last season was a letdown, and how he looks forward to a brand new year.

“We worked so hard toward games last year,” Franklin said. “We put so much time into it. Last year it hurt a lot. Fortunately, it is in the past. We have a whole new season in front of us, to do better. We can make ourselves a whole lot better.”

This positive outlook is shared by the players and coaching staff alike.

“We’re excited about the things we’ve got to accomplish this season,” Shannon said. “We’re looking for a better season than we had last year. The coaching staff and players on the team feel good about this season. We’re also expecting some guys coming in as freshmen to help us out.”

The Hurricanes obtained another elite recruiting class, regarded by some as the No. 1 recruiting class in the nation. Incoming freshmen are ecstatic about the upcoming season.

“We have a great group of guys,” freshman cornerback Brandon Harris said. “I’m excited to be on the team and for the season to start.”

“I can feel this bond,” freshman defensive tackle Marcus Forston said. “I see a family coming together.”

Players and the coaching staff are confident that Shannon will bring the Canes back to national prominence.

“We just follow our leader, coach Shannon,” freshman wide receiver LaRon Byrd said. “I know he is going to lead us to the promised land.”

Lelan LeDoux

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...