To me, Pride means not only a time to remember where we came from in our history but also a celebration of identity and celebrating love, acceptance and diversity.

— Emma Lam // Junior psychology major // SpectrUM president // Third Miami Beach Pride

It's the one day of the year where you know you're going to show up to a location and everyone will be very accepting of you, and you can just be yourself... You can people watch forever at Pride.

—Patrick Prentice // Junior music performance major // Third Miami Beach Pride

Honestly, I just like to put glitter all over my body and just be stupid, and this is the only day of the year where I can do that when I don’t get extremely weird looks.

— George Rizzuto // Junior marine science and biology major // Third Miami Beach Pride

I feel like a lot of people don’t really have a sense of community when they’re part of the gay community, and Pride is a really good way to publicly show that [sense of community].

—Celia Leto // Junior Marine science and biology major // Third Miami Beach Pride

I came out to my parents my senior year of high school really towards the end, and I’m a sophomore now. I’m out and proud to all my friends in Miami, but even at home, it’s still kind of difficult, especially with my extended family. It’s really nice to come here and have a whole family.

—Stephen Pitters // Sophomore vocal performance major // First Miami Beach Pride

I think the most important thing is obviously to celebrate everybody’s individuality but most importantly celebrating yourself, making sure that you’re comfortable... it’s like a safe space and it’s just fun to be part of.

—Noelle Barreda // Senior broadcast journalism major // Second Miami Beach Pride

I think Pride is a nice time for people to come out and really just celebrate who they are in a society that doesn’t always want to do that.

— Jane Perlman // Junior ecosystem science and policy major // First Miami Beach Pride

It’s getting together and seeing that there is a community here and getting to see all the queer people. It’s less about visibility for me or being obviously out and showing everyone how many of us there are.

— Sea Amuntsen // Sophomore software engineering major // Second Miami Beach Pride

It means freedom, just being who I want to be.

—Jennifer Verdelus // Freshman biomedical engineering major // First Miami Beach Pride

For me personally, it’s being able to be a part of something so big and seeing so many other queer people around me because I grew up in the middle of Indiana. There wasn’t a hugely active queer community, so now that I’m down here in Miami, it’s something I really want to experience.

— Kat Hollingsworth // Junior marine science and biology major // First Miami Beach Pride