79.1 F
Coral Gables
Sunday, October 24, 2021

Gandhi Day of volunteer service to be hosted Saturday by Butler...

Gandhi Day, an annual day of service organized by the University of Miami’s Butler Center for Service and Leadership, will bring undergraduate and graduate...

Mask mandates cause communication barriers for the deaf and hard of hearing

“It was like the world went into mumbles,” Dieterle said. “I had been reading lips and now my coping mechanism was gone. It was difficult. Now, I have more trouble communicating with people.”

Julio Frenk and community leaders talk COVID-19, racial justice at ‘State...

The University of Miami returned with the first in-person edition of 'State of the University' since the start of the pandemic Tuesday. The town...

UM students and faculty protest Texas abortion ban as Florida legislature...

Since a Texas law banning abortions more than six weeks into a pregnancy went into effect on Sept.1, activists, abortion providers and various members...

Return of UM’s Alternative Breaks program offers students opportunities to volunteer...

University of Miami Alternative Breaks (UMAB) announced the return of in-person, overnight service trips for this semester’s fall break. The program, which was temporarily...

UM School of Law’s Florida Bar passage rate ranked second...

While the increased Florida Bar passage rate is undoubtedly an accomplishment for the university, the news comes just two months after UM President Julio Frenk abruptly fired law school Dean Anthony Varona, publicly claiming that the law school needed “a dean with the required vision and effectiveness of execution to bring the school to new levels of excellence."

Three months later in Surfside: Some mourning, some moving on

But each time a new line of cars come to a red light on 88th Street, there is a tangible pause. The heads inside turn to the left, almost collectively. They look at the fenced-off, gaping hole in the ground for a moment, then gaze straight ahead. The light turns green, and the cars keep moving.

UM hosts first Family Weekend since 2019

For the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic began, the University of Miami will open its campus to the loved ones of hundreds of...

‘Pancakes, a duffel bag and a dream’: Tulane student business stops...

At the start of the fall 2021 semester, SexyCakes was running smoothly and set up to open for a successful third year of operations, when, on opening night, Hurricane Ida hit.

Camila Cabello and J Balvin among those to attend sold-out Billboard...

Tickets for the event sold out in July, though Telemundo Internacional and Universo have planned a live stream for fans that would prefer viewing from home. The awards take place during Billboard’s Latin Music Week in Miami, a series of concerts and interactive events with Latin stars spanning from Sept. 20-25.

University of Miami students and faculty required to take flu vaccine...

“Vaccine mandates have been the law of the land since 1905 in Jacobson v. Massachusetts and these have been held up again and again,” said Dr. Timothy Loftus, the Health Disparities Project Fredman Family Foundation practitioner-in-residence and lecturer in law at the UM School of Law.

Some UM affiliates from New Jersey and New York avoid worst...

“As the videos began to come in from social media, I felt PTSD from Hurricane Sandy,” said Isaiah Moore, a freshman at UM. “When hurricane Sandy hit New Jersey, it was bad for my area and we lost power for almost two weeks with no food to last.”