UM community honors the life of first-year, Brooke Roth

Brooke Roth, who passed away on Mar. 14, 2023

On the evening of March 14, the University of Miami announced in an email that Brooke Roth, an elementary education major from Lido Beach, NY, had died. Roth died on the morning of Sunday, March 12 from a pre-existing medical condition.

“That Friday before she passed, Brooke texted me telling me she wasn’t feeling well and that she wanted to go to the hospital just to be safe,” said Ella Rivers, a close friend and suitemate of Roth’s, at a gathering for Roth held in Mahoney Residential College (MRC) on March 19.

Roth, 20-years-old, lived on the 6 floor of MRC and was close with those on her floor.

“The University of Miami, and especially Mahoney floor 6, will not be the same without her,” Rivers said in her speech on March 19.

During the vigil, friends and loved ones shared the ways that Roth had made a positive impact in their life.

“Brooke was the first friend I made after coming to the University of Miami,” said Leila Israel, a freshman and fellow elementary education major of Roth’s. “I met her in an orientation program where I didn’t know anyone, but I couldn’t have felt more welcomed and comfortable as soon as I found Brooke.”

During her life, Roth was passionate about helping others. She was involved with the UM chapter of Camp Kesem, an organization that supports children affected by a parent’s cancer, and planned to be an elementary school teacher.

“She really would have been the best elementary school teacher one day,” Rivers said.

Those who knew Roth had overwhelmingly positive thoughts about her and her infectious energy.

“If radiance was a person, it would be Brooke. I am so lucky to have been friends with someone so full of love,” Israel said.

Others spoke about the perseverance and joy that Roth exemplified throughout her struggles with her health. Though Roth faced medical obstacles throughout her life, she remained optimistic and lived her life to the fullest.

“Instead of letting what happened control her, Brooke took her life into her own hands and found a way to turn the salt into sugar,” Rivers said in her speech.

Roth also motivated those around her to embrace life the same way she did.

“I am going to speak for everyone when I say that every day, Brooke inspired us to be stronger than we think we are, appreciate the little things in life and most importantly practice kindness,” Rivers said.

Rivers encourages the UM community to honor Roth by living life as she did.

“While we cannot reverse this tragedy and bring her back, we can continue to live our lives in the spirit of her beautiful soul,” Rivers said.

Roth’s obituary can be found at https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/hewlett-ny/brooke-roth-11200807 for those wishing to light a candle for Roth or share a memory. Students needing assistance can get in contact with the Counseling Center at Suite 305 of the Student Services Building or by calling (305) 284-5511