Miami downs South Alabama and College of Charleston in midweek doubleheader

Freshman Antonio Prat celebrates a 6-0 set (bagel) win during Miami’s matches against South Alabama at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on Wednesday, March 8. Photo credit: Shirley Pandya

Miami found itself in a catfight against the South Alabama Jaguars on Wednesday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. In a thrilling 4-3 contest, ‘Canes freshman Nacho Serra Sanchez sealed the match for the Hurricanes.

Later in the day, the ‘Canes did it all over again against the College of Charleston, sweeping the Cougars 4-0.

Things looked grim for Miami (8-4, 0-2 ACC) early on, as South Alabama (7-5) started off hot on Courts 1 and 3. In surprisingly clinical fashion, the pair of fifth-year senior Juan Martin Jalif and freshman Martin Vergara were defeated on Court 1, 2-6. On Court 3, sophomore Martin Katz and graduate student Leo Bierbaum would also fall, 3-6, giving the Jaguars the doubles point.

On Court 2, fifth-year senior Franco Aubone and graduate student Dan Martin were deadlocked, 3-3, when the other courts finished.

The match got even worse for the ‘Canes in singles as Vergara fell 2-6, 1-6, on Court 4 to increase South Alabama’s lead to 2-0. But No. 44 Martin won on Court 1, 6-3, 6-3, to bring the ‘Canes within one.

Graduate student Dan Martin returns the ball during Miami’s matches against South Alabama at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on Wednesday, March 8.
Graduate student Dan Martin returns the ball during Miami’s matches against South Alabama at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on Wednesday, March 8. Photo credit: Shirley Pandya

Heroically, freshman Antonio Prat shook off his slow start to win convincingly, 3-6, 6-0, 6-1, to bring the ‘Canes level at 2-2 overall.

However, the celebrations were shortlived. This time it was No. 76 Katz on Court 2, who lost 2-6, 5-7, to put South Alabama on the brink of victory.

Knowing there was no more margin for error, the ‘Canes buckled down. On Court 5, Bierbaum battled from behind to force a third set. He was leading in the final set when his opponent retired due to injury. The final score was 5-7, 6-3, 2-1, as the Hurricanes tied it at 3.

Graduate student Leonard Bierbaum returns the ball during Miami’s matches against South Alabama at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on Wednesday, March 8.
Graduate student Leonard Bierbaum returns the ball during Miami’s matches against South Alabama at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on Wednesday, March 8. Photo credit: Shirley Pandya

It all came down to the true freshman Spaniard on Court 6, Nacho Serra Sanchez. After winning the first set, 6-3, he was bested in the second, 5-7. In the final winnertakeall set, the freshman showed nerves of steel, confidently striding to a 6-2 win for the ‘Canes as the upset bid was snuffed out.

With the adrenaline still pumping, the ‘Canes were forced back onto the courts against the College of Charleston (4-6).

Prat and Martin got a smooth victory on Court 2 in doubles, but things were not as easy on the remaining courts. Both were headed to tiebreaks at 6-6, and it was Katz and Sanchez who pushed the ‘Canes to victory by the razorthin margin of 7-6 (8-6).

With the advantage secured, Miami did not mess around in singles. Prat started the scoring first on Court 2, as he won comfortably, 6-4, 6-1. Next, Aubone, who didn’t get to play singles in the earlier match, used his freshness to his advantage. He won easily, 6-4, 6-1, on Court 5 to put the ‘Canes within one point.

Katz sealed the deal on Court 3 as he brushed past his opponent, 6-4, 6-2, to give the ‘Canes a clean sweep.

Next up, Miami travels to North Carolina for a pair of matches. The ‘Canes will play NC State in Raleigh on Friday at 5:30 p.m. before facing Wake Forest on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.