Didn’t get on-campus housing? Here’s a list of off-campus options

Visitor7, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Struggling to find a place to live next year? With on-campus housing more competitive than ever, many UM students are scrambling to find off-campus living options for the 2023-2024 academic year. Whether you are looking for affordable, luxury or walkable living accommodations, there are a variety of nearby options for UM students to choose from.

Apartments

Typically, UM students gravitate toward apartments as off-campus housing. While Miami has a wide variety of locations and price ranges, these spaces tend to fill up fast. Nonetheless, with adequate research, students can find a place comfortable enough to live in.

Below are popular apartment complexes for UM students.

The Residences at THesis

Attached to the Thesis Hotel are luxury apartments. The Residences at THesis are a notoriously expensive living option that many UM students select for its convenience. If you can afford this option, there are numerous pros.

Just across from the Lennar Foundation Medical Center, this option is one of the closest to UM. This complex features common rooms filled with a bar area and pool table, a small but high quality gym and an infinity pool overlooking the city of Miami.

The rooms themselves do not come furnished and are not as large as you would expect. However, they have state-of-the-art appliances and the iconic balconies that flood many students’ Instagrams. All residents must enter through a secure lobby area with front desk staff ready to assist.

The Thesis is located at 1340 S Dixie Hwy Unit 610, Coral Gables, FL 33146.

The Standard

The Standard is another popular option comparable to THesis. The two have similar price ranges and amenities. Like THesis, The Standard is upscale and has a quality gym, game room and a clubhouse.

Furnished rooms are available and each bedroom comes with its own bathroom.

The Standard is not within walking distance to the University of Miami and is around a 12-minute drive from downtown Coral Gables, Fla.. Therefore, this complex is best fit for students with cars.

The Standard is located at 1515 San Remo Ave, Coral Gables, FL 33146.

Orduna Court

Orduna Court’s amenities are subpar compared to THesis or The Standard. However, it is within walking distance to the university and has ample security with a large wrap-around fence enclosing the building.

The furnished apartments can help save money. A nice pool highlights the centerpiece of the complex. The complex lacks a gym, which may be a let-down for some students.

The biggest selling point is good security, more reasonable prices and up-to-date appliances. I would recommend this option to any students without a car looking for something in a middle price range for Miami.

Orduna Court is located at 800 S Dixie Hwy, Coral Gables, FL 33146.

Red Road Commons

Traditionally, the Red Road Commons were one of the most affordable options for off-campus housing for UM students. However, their prices have since increased, which may change some students’ opinion on the value of the complex.

Red Roads apartments come furnished and offer a pool and gym. However, the rooms are tiny and the location can feel unsafe late at night.

The location is walkable, but there is the Hurry ‘Canes Shuttle in University Village that takes students to and from campus during the week.

Red Road Commons is located at 6620 SW 57th Ave Suite 108, South Miami, FL.

Life Time Living at Gables Station

While Life Time is known for their gym, there are luxury-branded apartments attached to the fitness side of the development. At times, this option can be more affordable than THesis or The Standard.

These can come furnished or unfurnished, depending on availability. All of the appliances and amenities are state-of-the-art and a Trader Joes is located on the first floor for the residents’ convenience.

At a little over two miles from campus, you could get away with not having a car at Life Time. A complimentary shuttle is provided by LifeTime and runs every 30 minutes during the week. Students without a car can also bike or take the metrorail.

Life Time is located at 237 S Dixie Hwy, Coral Gables, FL.

Vox

Vox is yet another apartment complex that is branded as luxury. With renovated common areas, a pool and gym, it’s another solid option. However, it’s not within walking distance, which makes it inconvenient for students without cars.

In my opinion, there is not much that makes Vox stand out on this list, and if you are going to pay for a luxury apartment, I would choose THesis, The Standard or LifeTime over Vox. There is a Target, Whole Foods and Publix close to the complex, which does add some appeal.

Vox is located at 7025 SW 59th Pl, Miami, FL 33143.

Cascade

Cascade is a new apartment complex that just opened in Coral Gables, Fla.. Students that live here will have exclusive access to high-end amenities at a lower price. It is likely that rent will rise over the next few years, but if you get in now, you can secure a cheaper lease for the year.

They are even offering one month of rent free if you lease by March 31. The downside to Cascade would be the location if you don’t have a car. However, it is very close to the upscale Shops at Merrick Park, which is nice if you are looking to do some shopping or dining.

Cascade is located at 3050 SW 37th Ave, Miami, FL 33133.

Core

Similar to Cascade, Core is another apartment complex with up-to-date amenities such as business rooms, game rooms, a gym and pool. Just a metro ride away, Core hasn’t been filling up as fast as some of the other complexes.

I would recommend that students on the on-campus housing waitlist keep an eye on Core.

Houses

Renting a house is a great option for students that want to live in bigger groups. There are a good amount of houses along Ponce De Leon that are within walking distance to the university and in good condition.

With a wide variety of size and price, this can be a more economical solution than some apartments. UM has an off-campus housing webpage where individuals can search houses for rent near the university.

Condos

Similar to renting a house, there are also condominiums near the school. These will most likely offer more space and have many of the perks that apartments offer such as security, pools and possible furnishings.

Condos don’t fill up as fast as some of the apartment complexes near the school, and can be a good option for those looking for something last minute. Check out Valencia in South Miami, University Inn located in Coral Gables or Ten Aragon on Miracle Mile for additional options.

With all of these available options, we hope that one works for you!

Previous articleConcordia Americas Summit returns to UM in 2023
Next articleREVIEW: Ring Theatre presents “The Rover”
Morgan Fry
Morgan Fry is a sophomore from La Grange, IL majoring in management and marketing with a minor in journalism. She began writing for The Hurricane in the first semester of her freshman year and is excited to take on a new role as Assistant Arts & Entertainment Editor. Her love of Miami restaurants, site seeing and pop culture translates into her writing, which she is excited grow and share with the A&E section. Outside of the paper, Fry is a team leader for the Management 100 program in the business school and is involved with her sorority, Pi Beta Phi.