5 books with strong female leads for Women’s History Month

Photo credit: Gage Skidmore from Peoria, AZ, United States of America, CC BY-SA 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons

In honor of Women’s History Month, The Miami Hurricane has compiled several books that propose strong female leads to keep your reading informed and current. From stories spanning wartorn Afghanistan to barren dystopian wastelands, there’s something for everyone on this list of feminist fiction.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Set against the backdrop of Afghanistan as it transitions from Soviet occupation to Taliban rule, this book is a tale of female willpower and strength in the face of insurmountable adversity and unrelenting tragedy. Hosseini writes the story of two women, Mariam and Laila, who face abuse, grief and war throughout their entire lives. A true testament of the perseverance of women, this book is a tearjerker that will stay with you for a lifetime.

I Who Have Never Known Men by Jacqueline Harpman

This atmospheric, short (only 185 pages!) novel is a carefully crafted reflection on the nature of womanhood and love, set in a vaguely distant future where women have all been imprisoned underground. Our unnamed narrator manages to escape, but the desolate above-ground is nothing like she expected. Blindly exploring the world with a complete lack of experience or knowledge, this novel is deeply introspective and insightful.

If I Had Your Face by Frances Cha

Character-driven and an intricate insight into South Korean beauty culture, Cha’s debut novel reveals the complexities of female friendship and the tumultuous relationships between women. Unassuming by nature, featuring four ordinary women going through their daily lives, this book is a thought-provoking and enjoyable read.

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

More propulsive and lighthearted than most others on this list, this book tells the story of Addie LaRue, who makes a Faustian bargain with a catch: she is cursed to be forgotten by everyone who meets her. Spanning multiple contents and 400 years, this novel exemplifies female strength and persistence with lyrical prose and novel fantastical components.

My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell

This contemporary psychological thriller tells the twisted story of a young girl who is groomed by her boarding school English teacher. Reversing the “Lolita” trope, this novel is a dark juxtaposition of traumatic and beautiful moments, facing the question of cultural shifts and culpability. Thoroughly disturbing at times, this novel will leave you with a visceral account of the #MeToo era.