UM News Briefs: SG elections, insulin costs and Shakespeare

Photo credit: Roberta Macedo

Note from the news editors: UM News Briefs are a new segment from The Miami Hurricane. News briefs provide a weekly snapshot of life at the University of Miami, in Miami and sometimes around the state, country or world. Stay up to date with UM News Briefs.

THIS WEEK AT THE U

SG Election Trial

The results for the student government (SG) executive positions were delayed due to election violations. The candidates participated in an SG Supreme Court Trial to deliberate the extent of the violations.

The trial was held Monday. Feb. 27 night at 9 p.m. and was closed to the public, only permitting members of SG to observe.

On Tuesday at noon, election results were announced. Paige Hawt is the 2023-2024 SG Treasurer and Angela Ansah is the next Vice President. Candidates Niles Nisseem and Angel Aguilar are currently in the runoff election. Voting for the runoff election closes on Friday, March 2, at 11:59 p.m.

Shakespeare on the Patio

Canestage, a branch of Hurricane Productions, will present Shakespeare on the Patio at the Lakeside Patio Stage on Monday, March 6, from 7-8:30 p.m. Audience members can participate in the performance, as long as their contribution bears a connection to Shakespeare’s work.

Along with performances, Canestage will be providing food and giveaways for all to enjoy. For more information, see @hp_canestage on Instagram

U KNOW MIAMI

Missing child found in Miami

On Wednesday, March 1, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement issued a Florida Missing Child Alert for 3-year-old Ava Joseph, after she was reported missing in Miami.

Miami-Dade Police said earlier that day that the toddler had been last seen leaving Holtz Children’s Hospital along the 1600 block of Northwest 11th Avenue, Monday, Feb. 27 with her mother, 21-year-old Jennifer Joseph.

The alert was lifted Thursday afternoon after a citizen saw the alert and contacted law enforcement. Officials released the news that Ava was found safe after a direct recovery, but did not release any more information.

IN CASE U MISSED IT

Train carrying propane derails in Manatee County

A propane tanker carrying thousands of gallons of fuel toppled over in Manatee County, on the west coast of Florida south of St. Petersburg, along with several other cars. No injuries were reported.

According to South Manatee County Fire Rescue, one of the tankers was carrying 30,000 gallons of propane. Another, also carrying propane, jumped the track during the derailment.

Since the incident, officials have been searching for the safest way to clean the accident. No evacuation orders have been issued and there are no road closures. However, officials may evacuate the area during the cleanup as a precaution.

Eli Lilly to cut insulin prices and cap cost at $35

Eli Lilly, founder of international pharmaceutical corporation Eli Lilly and Company, announced on Wednesday, March 1, a series of price cuts that would lower the price of the most commonly used forms of its insulin and said it will automatically cap out-of-pocket insulin costs at $35 for people who have private insurance and use certain pharmacies.

President Joe Biden commented on the announcement, urging other pharmaceutical companies to follow in Lilly’s footsteps.

“For far too long, American families have been crushed by drug costs, many times higher than what people in other countries are charged for the same prescriptions. Insulin costs less than $10 to make, but Americans are sometimes forced to pay over $300 for it. It’s flat wrong,” Biden said in a statement from the White House made on Wednesday.