Miami brushes past FGCU, 4-0

Freshman Antonio Prat prepares to hit the ball across the court during the singles matches against Florida Atlantic University on February 12 at Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Photo credit: Reese Putnam

Miami men’s tennis is now the team to beat in South Florida. With a quick 4-0 victory over in-state rival Florida Gulf Coast University on Saturday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, Miami improves to 4-0 against Florida schools, sweeping every single one of them. The Hurricanes have also extended their home winning streak to six.

The No. 47 ‘Canes (6-2) started with solid doubles play to defeat the Eagles (5-3) at a blistering pace. On Court 3, sophomore Martin Katz and freshman Antonio Prat dropped only a single game, winning 6-1. On Court 2, fifth-year senior Franco Aubone and graduate student Dan Martin refused to be one-upped by the younger players, winning in perfect fashion, 6-0. With the doubles point secured, Court 1 was abandoned with the score level at 3-3.

In singles, Miami was powered by the bottom half of the lineup. On Court 6, freshman Nacho Serra Sanchez dusted his opponent, 6-1, 6-2, to increase the ‘Canes lead. Fellow freshman Martin Vergara followed suit with a 6-4, 6-2 victory on Court 4. Minutes later, graduate student Leo Bierbaum did the exact same as his freshman teammate, winning 6-4, 6-2, and concluding match play with the ‘Canes on top, 4-0.

At the top half of the lineup, Katz was two games shy of a win on Court 3, as he was leading 6-3, 4-2. On Court 2, Prat, who is having an incredible freshman campaign, initially trailed, 6-2, but stormed back, 6-0, to extend the match to three sets before it was called off.

On Court 1, No. 28 Dan Martin was locked in a thrilling battle of epic stakes, as he edged FGCU’s top player, 7-6 (11-9), in the first set.

The ‘Canes are hot at the right time as they now turn their sights toward Atlantic Coast Conference powerhouse Virginia. Miami travels to Charlottesville, Virginia, this Friday with the match set to begin at 5 p.m.