Miami finishes 17th at Moon Golf Invitational

Third-year sophomore Sara Byrne at practice at the Biltmore Golf Course on Aug/ 30, 2022. Photo credit: Miami Athletics

The Miami Hurricanes golf team played in their second event of the spring season this week at the Moon Golf Invitational in Melbourne, Florida. The Hurricanes were hoping to bounce back after a poor showing at the University of Central Florida (UCF) Challenge; however, they were not able to do that.

The ‘Canes competed in a 17-team field. Among the 17, 13 of the teams were ranked in the top-45.

Miami finished in 17th place at 45-over-par after three days. Although the Hurricanes left much to be desired as a team, there were individual performances that Miami will use to try and build momentum.

The Hurricanes’ star performer was redshirt sophomore Sara Byrne. After opening the event with a first-round 71 and a second-round 73, Byrne fired a 5-under-par 67 in the third round. Byrne finished in a tie for 13th place.

Redshirt junior Daniella Barrett finished in a tie for 64th place; however, she was in the top 10 after the first day after firing a 4-under 68.

Freshman Katie Carman and Eliza Villamizar shot 23-over-par and 24-over-par, respectively. Carman finished in 94th place, while Villamizer finished in 95th place.

Redshirt junior Franziska Sliper struggled, as she shot a three-day total of 32-over-par. Sliper finished in last place out of 97 golfers.

The Hurricanes will be back in action Mar. 4-5 at the Gator Invitational in Gainesville, Florida.