Morales powers Miami to 11-2 win over Stetson

Freshman infielder Black Cyr finishes his first-ever homerun swing as a 'Cane against Stetson on Feb. 21 at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. Photo credit: Reese Putnam

Third baseman Yohandy Morales is viewed as one of the best players in the nation and a future MLB first-round draft pick. On Tuesday night, he showed why.

Morales batted 3-for-4, including two home runs and five RBI, as he led the Hurricanes to an 11-2 win over the Stetson Hatters.

“I was seeing the ball well out of the hand.” Morales said, “My first weekend wasn’t as good, but my team was there to pick me up so I just want to do whatever I can to help them score runs.”

Right-handed pitcher Alejandro Torres got the win as he notched three shutout innings to go along with seven strikeouts. The rest of the staff also put up a valiant effort, only allowing two runs and punching out an additional seven batters.

“I thought our pitchers did an excellent job,” head coach Gino DiMare said, “And of course we got some big home runs with some guys on base which helps.”

Stetson left-hander Jonathan Gonzalez was credited with the loss as he threw two innings, allowing six runs and walking three batters.

Early offense was the story of the night, as 11 of the 13 runs scored in the game came in the fourth inning or earlier. Batting with runners on also changed the tide of the contest, as Miami hit 9-for-25 with runners on base compared to Stetson’s 2-for-10 line with runners on.

Catcher and pitcher duo high-five each other after ending the inning of the game against Stetson on Feb. 21 at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.
Catcher and pitcher duo high-five each other after ending the inning of the game against Stetson on Feb. 21 at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. Photo credit: Reese Putnam

The ‘Canes kicked off the scoring quickly as Morales launched his first home run of the game, a 3-run homer into left-center field in the bottom of the first inning.

In the bottom of the third, Morales drilled another home run, this one for two runs, putting the ‘Canes up 5-0. In the same inning, Miami added three more runs. Two on a home run from second baseman Blake Cyr, his first with the ‘Canes, and another on a single by left fielder Edgardo Villegas.

Stetson got on the board in the top of the fourth inning with a solo shot from left fielder Jayden Hylton. Miami countered with two more runs in the bottom of the fourth off a double by Cyr, one of six extra-base hits on the night for UM, to extend its lead to 10-1.

The Hatters threatened in the top of the fifth, but a smooth double play started by relief pitcher Chris Scinta ended the inning and any scoring chance for Stetson.

The Hurricanes added one more run in the seventh inning off an RBI double by center fielder Jacoby Long, while Stetson scored one in the eighth off a solo home run by designated hitter Evan Griffis.

The Hurricanes have now won three straight games after dropping their season opener to Penn State. The pitching over the last three games has been spectacular for the ‘Canes, as they have allowed only a combined six runs across this stretch.

Miami will now host the Indiana State Sycamores on Wednesday at Mark Light Field. First pitch is set for 6 p.m., and the game will air on ACC Network Extra.