Levenson powers Miami’s win over Penn State

Sophomore outfielder Edgardo Villegas hits a single against Penn State University on Saturday, Feb. 18 at Mark Light Field. Photo credit: Shirley Pandya

Zach Levenson has made a name for himself in Miami’s first series of the season.

After a home run in UM’s Friday night loss, the junior added on two more home runs on Saturday night as he led the No. 22 Miami Hurricanes to a 10-2 victory at home against the Penn State Nittany Lions.

Miami controlled the game from the first inning and never looked back. The win started with the offense, as the ‘Canes brought in 10 runs off of nine hits and drew nine walks.

“I was just trusting my ability and trusting the process that we’ve been going through in practice,” Levenson said. “Karson’s performance was great momentum for us hitters just relaxing up there at the plate.”

On the mound for Miami was Karson Ligon. The second-year starter did not shy away from the moment after getting the call for the second game of the series as the righty posted a stellar outing, allowing only two hits and zero earned runs in six and ⅔ innings pitched.

“A much better outcome tonight,” Miami head coach Gino DiMare said. “It starts on the mound. Karson Ligon threw really well. He mixed up his pitches well. The slider to me was his money pitch tonight. He did a good job of keeping his composure.”

After 42 strikeouts in a little over 36 innings pitched last season, Miami reliever Ronaldo Gallo has picked up right where he left off. Despite giving up a run in the eighth inning, the right-hander closed out the game for the Hurricanes and finished with four strikeouts through two innings pitched.

Junior pitcher Ronaldo Gallo throws a strike against Penn State University on Saturday, Feb. 18 at Mark Light Field.
Junior pitcher Ronaldo Gallo throws a strike against Penn State University on Saturday, Feb. 18 at Mark Light Field. Photo credit: Shirley Pandya

The Hurricanes’ offensive fireworks began with sophomore Edgardo Villegas. The lefty slugger took a ball deep to right field to give Miami a 2-0 lead in the first inning.

Villegas connected on another huge hit with a double to bring home shortstop Dominic Pitelli. A series of wild pitches brought center fielder Dario Gomez in to score and ended Penn State starter Daniel Ouderkirk’s night in the fourth frame. The 6-foot-9 righty gave up three hits and four runs in his losing outing.

Miami star third baseman Yohandy Morales finished off the three-run fourth inning with a line drive base hit down the first base line to send Villegas home and give the Hurricanes a 5-0 lead.

At the midway point of the matchup, it became the Levenson show. The outfielder stepped up to the plate and mauled a curveball 460 feet to left-center field with an exit velocity of 108 mph.

“That is definitely the farthest home run I have ever hit in my life,” Levenson said to WVUM. “I am really trying to use the whole field a little bit more than I have in the past.”

Penn State struggled all night offensively, as it totaled six hits for two runs. The Nittany Lions scored their two runs on singles by Jay Harry and Kyle Hannon.

Levenson and Villegas led Miami in RBIs with three each, and three players had multi-hit games for the ‘Canes.

Freshman infielder Jason Torres and the rest of the ‘Canes cheer on their teammates from the dugout during their game against Penn State University on Saturday, Feb. 18 at Mark Light Field.
Freshman infielder Jason Torres and the rest of the ‘Canes cheer on their teammates from the dugout during their game against Penn State University on Saturday, Feb. 18 at Mark Light Field. Photo credit: Shirley Pandya

“We have some power guys in our lineup who can swing the bat with some authority,” DiMare said. “One swing of the bat can change the game.”

Miami and Penn State will wrap up the series Sunday at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.