UM beauty starter kit: Survive the heat with these essentials

Photo credit: geehairimages, CC BY 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons

As the Miami sun burns brighter and temperatures increase, it is difficult for makeup to last on a humid day. Whether walking to class, heading to a weekend brunch or going out to dinner, we want beauty products to endure the Miami heat. You don’t want your makeup to slide off your face before you even arrive at your destination!

Here are some trendy beauty products that function under the strong Miami sunshine.

Sunscreen

Even if it is cloudy, dermatologists recommend wearing sunscreen every day. The Beauty of Joseon Relief Sun: Rice + Probiotic SPF50+ is a phenomenal option for daily use. It is cruelty free, affordable and suitable for all skin types.

“It is so lightweight and dries really quickly. It feels like there’s nothing on my skin,” said sophomore Cecilia Llamas, a political science and public administration major.

Tinted Moisturizer

Natural, glowy skin is all the rage these days, but sometimes a little bit of coverage is a must before heading to class. The Rare Beauty Positive Light Tinted Moisturizer has SPF 20, is light coverage and has a dewy finish. The lightweight moisturizer is comfortable and wears well throughout the day.

Another option is the Tower 28 SunnyDays SPF 30 Tinted Sunscreen.

Victoria Howell, a freshman studying public relations, loves the product and applies the product every morning.

“It evens out my skin tone, provides pretty good coverage, is incredibly lightweight and has SPF in it,” Howell said.

Embed from Getty Images

Concealer

One of the best concealers that has been adored for years is the Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer. Available in 30 shades, this has stood the test of time and the test of Miami weather. This product is perfect for a natural look for class or evening glam.

Powder

In order for your makeup to last all day, many students suggest using a setting powder to lock it into place! Eliza Lee, a sophomore political science, religion and media management major, recommends the NYX Can’t Stop Won’t Stop All Day Mattifying Powder.

Lee says this is her “absolute holy grail” for her makeup routine in Miami. Combined with primer and a setting spray, the powder makes her makeup last throughout the entire day.

Blush

The beauty community has been obsessed with blush lately. Rare Beauty’s Soft Pinch Liquid Blush is beloved by many for its beautiful colors and high pigmentation. Check out UM senior Alix Earle’s favorite shade “Hope” for a nude mauve with a radiant finish. This blush adds a gorgeous flush of color to the skin and the shade range fits many skin tones.

Check out the NYX Sweet Cheeks Soft Cheek Tint for a similar, cheaper option. A powder alternative is the Milani Baked Blush, which has been a fan favorite for years.

Embed from Getty Images

Eyeshadow

Students love to spruce up their makeup for game days by adding some orange and green to represent the U. Gwyneth Johnson, a sophomore film major, suggests the Stila Shimmer & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow in Dynamic.

After sweating under the sun at Hard Rock all afternoon, my eyeshadow was the only product that stayed intact,” Johnson, who is a Category 5 member, said. “I can’t wait to use it for the upcoming baseball season.”

See the NYX Ultimate Glow Shots Vitamin C Infused Liquid Eyeshadow in shades Kiwi Killa and Wow Cacao for Hurricanes game day perfection!

Mascara

A product that can elevate any makeup look, a good mascara that doesn’t flake is hard to come by. The Tower 28 Make Waves Mascara, however, gets the job done. All of Tower 28’s clean line of products are safe for extremely sensitive and eczema prone skin, including this mascara. This product lengthens and adds volume to lashes instantly and it lasts through a full day of classes in the heat!

For a less expensive alternative, try the Elf Lash ‘N Roll Mascara for a similar effect!

Embed from Getty Images

Lipstick + Lip Gloss Combo

You can’t go wrong with anything from Rare Beauty, but their lip products are truly underrated. The Kind Words Matte Lipstick and the Stay Vulnerable Glossy Lip Balm are phenomenal lip products for a day of classes or a fun night out.

Johnson states that the products are “perfect for an evening at Merrick Park” and the lip gloss is shiny and comfortable for a whole day of classes!

For a stunning lip gloss option from the drugstore, the Maybelline Lifter Gloss is perfect and comes in 20 shades. A dupe for the Kind Words Matte Lipstick can be seen in the Milani Color Fetish Matte Lipstick.

Setting Spray

The finishing touch for a makeup routine is setting spray. An amazing, affordable option guaranteed to make your look last all day is the Milani Make It Last Setting Spray.

Beauty products that last through a day of sunshine can be hard to come by, but these products are worth a try for UM students, whether for an everyday routine or a weekend adventure.