Miami rowing looking to build off 2022 success

Miami rowing lines up before starting a spring piece during practice in the Indian Creek on Friday, Feb. 10. Photo credit: Sam Peene

The University of Miami’s rowing team is gearing up to start its 2023 season in just under a month, and it intends to dominate.

The ‘Canes concluded their 2022 season by finishing fifth in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), which was a program best. This year, they are hoping for some hardware.

Team co-captain and fourth-year junior Mimmi Balaam credits much of this success to the “team culture.” She said that along with a strong group of recruits, there was a passionate tone set for the season, and “it created a sense of teamwork and unity within the team.”

She continued to explain how the team is building on this sense of unity for the upcoming season, saying that when setting the standards and goals in the beginning, they decided to focus on a few “buzzwords” that will help keep the team in tune with each other through the rigorous training and race schedule.

In season, the ‘Canes typically travel north to row on the Indian Creek five mornings a week, with additional training on campus, including weekly ergs and bi-weekly strength training with coach Arianna Luther.

“We have a lot of great additions to the team this year, so the energy is so great,” said Alyssa Bacchus, third year sophomore and 2022 All-ACC Team member.

On top of an entirely new coaching staff, the Hurricanes have seen many positive changes since the end of their 2022 season.

Head coach James Mulcahy has lofty expectations for Miami rowing this season and said that the school and athletic department have been supportive in the transition. The team allocated resources to purchase three new boats and modified their strength training program, and Balaam credits an elevated mentality to the new coaching staff.

With their sights set on making the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Championships for the first time and racking up ACC medals, the ‘Canes rowing team begins every practice with targets and intentions, remembering that “no individual can succeed on their own.” [Balaam]

On Saturday, March 4, the Hurricanes will head to Deland, Fla. to race Stetson and kick off the 2023 season.