Hurricanes struggle at UCF Challenge

Third-year sophomore Sara Byrne at practice at the Biltmore Golf Course on Aug/ 30, 2022. Photo credit: Miami Athletics

The Miami Hurricanes golf team returned to tournament action for the first time this spring at the University of Central Florida (UCF) Challenge in Orlando, Fla. They finished 18th out of 18 teams competing this week. There were five ranked teams among the field.

As a team, the Hurricanes shot 32-over par over the course of three days. They finished 74 shots behind the tournament-winning Wake Forest squad.

This was an unexpected result after performing well at the UCF Challenge in 2022, where they finished in eighth place at 10-under par.

Although UM’s performance left much to be desired, there were bright spots that the team can build on.

Redshirt sophomore Sara Byrne shot even par over three days. Byrne finished tied for 37th among 96 other golfers. Byrne’s three rounds of even par (72) will help her build momentum for the spring season.

Although fourth-year juniors Franziska Sliper and Daniella Barrett had poor finishes, they also each shot a round of even par. Those rounds are just a glimpse of what they look to accomplish as the season moves forward.

Freshmen Katie Carman and Elisa Villamizar made their collegiate debuts as well. Although they finished in a tie for 92nd place, some struggles can be attributed to the pressure of their first collegiate start.

The Hurricanes will be back on the road in two weeks, as they travel to Melbourne, Fla. for the Moon Golf Invitational.