A profound look at being human: “Puss In Boots: The Last Wish”

Photo credit: Rim Khayata | Cinematic Arts Commission

Since I watched “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, ” I’ve been trying to explain the experience with my friends and family, how when I stepped into the theater, I had no idea what would happen to me.

Currently one of the highest grossing films in theaters, the film has been a hit among viewers, but there’s a reason why it has captured so many.

Its central narrative of the found family and depiction of relatable life circumstances effectively bridge the gap between animated animals and real-life people.

“Puss in Boots: The Last Wish” depicts Puss in Boots (Antonio Banderas), the beloved “Shrek” character who is on his final life as he ventures out to find the wishing star and regain his nine lives. He’s joined by several companions and enemies who are chasing him down, the most notable one of these being death.

The story parallels the stories of Puss in Boots’ friends — who become a family over the course of the story — and Goldilocks (Florence Pugh), who desires to find her biological family outside of her bears. Both of their wishes set them apart from their family and they’re forced to make a decision about what they truly desire.

This is the emotional core of the story. It humanizes the characters and makes them that much more relatable. When he suffers from anxiety attacks, which feel incredibly accurate, we see a more human side to Puss’ character that exposes his underlying fears.

Embed from Getty Images

These fears and anxieties are integral to the film, as depicted by the character of Death (Wagner Moura), one of the film’s main villains. He is a massive cloaked wolf character with terrifying, red glowing eyes. Both the auditory and visual aspects of his characterization help contribute to a sense of horror while watching the film.

“It’s refreshing and original, a tactful way to acquaint children with the prospect of death. The animation serves the story; it’s unique, yet not gimmicky. The voice acting is genuine and nuanced. It’s a movie full of heart,” sophomore motion pictures major Jack Brixius said.

The film works as a western with Antonio Banderas as the infamous cat. It wraps you up in the journey, a film that’ll have you cheering, shouting, laughing and crying alongside its characters.

There’s something so natural about this movie where you feel a part of the story, like parts of it are your own. That is the magic of cinema. I could go on and on about the power of the film and how it made me cry, but that’s nothing compared to watching the film yourself.

The Cosford Cinema will screen “Puss In Boots: The Last Wish” this April 5 and 8; doors open at 8:30 p.m.

Rating: 4.25