UM News Briefs: Drag Brunch #attherat, DeSantis politics and College Board

Photo credit: Roberta Macedo

Note from the news editors: UM News Briefs are a new segment from The Miami Hurricane. News briefs provide a weekly snapshot of life at the University of Miami, in Miami and sometimes around the state, country or world. Stay up to date with UM News Briefs.

ON CAMPUS

Drag Brunch #attherat

On Sunday Feb. 5, The Rathskeller, in collaboration with Hurricane Productions, is kicking off its 50th anniversary with Drag Brunch #attherat. Students can enjoy a special brunch menu, giveaways and more, with host Silky Nutmeg Ganache, third place recipient on season 11 of RuPaul’s Drag Race, and a live performance by Ariel Rimm, a drag queen from West Palm Beach, Fla. Take the stage and lip sync with the queens, starting at 10AM. The event is 18+, limited capacity and students must show a valid ‘Cane Card to enter.

CEO Fireside Chat: Perry Ellis International

TAMID Group at Miami will be welcoming the CEO of Perry Ellis International, Oscar Feldenkreis, for a Fireside Chat as they kick off their spring event series on Tuesday, Feb. 7 at 6:30 p.m. in the Herbert Business School’s Executive Dining Room. The event is open to the entire University of Miami community, and will focus on entrepreneurship, fashion, retail and consumer product industries.

The session will include a student Q&A segment, where students will have the opportunity to ask Feldenkreis questions. The session will also highlight internship and recruiting opportunities. The event will include catered food and free Perry Ellis merchandise for attendees.

Students can RSVP using this link

Miami, Fla.

DeSantis tough-on-crime proposal

Ahead of the upcoming 2022 Florida Legislative Session that is set to conclude on March 14, 2023, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis unveiled a tough-on-crime agenda, including proposals to expand the death penalty to certain sex crimes and mandating life sentences to people convicted of selling fentanyl that looks like candy to children.

DeSantis added that a supermajority vote by a jury is enough to impose the death penalty. This decision would make Florida the second state, following Alabama, to allow non-unanimous jury votes for the death penalty. He elaborated on the proposal, saying that child sex abuse should also be punishable by death, with a minimum sentence of life in prison, without the possibility of parole.

College Board modifies AP African American History course

On Wednesday, Feb. 1, The College Board released the final curriculum for its new Advanced Placement African American Studies course. The coursework seems to leave out references to topics Gov. Ron Desantis criticized two weeks ago, after rejecting the course from being taught in public high schools, drawing concerns from Black leaders claiming the College Board watered down the curriculum to please politicians.

After Florida rejected the course, the College Board released a statement stating that it would not cave into outside pressures from leaders to change the course. Instead saying that pilot programs often undergo extensive revisions.

This is the first time the College Board has designed an Advanced Placement course on African American History.

Black History Month

Through Feb. 12 the HistoryMiami Museum is showing the “Black Citizenship in the Age of Jim Crow” exhibition, which depicts the struggle for citizenship and racial equality that occurred throughout the 50 years following the Civil War. Artifacts, photographs and many other mediums illustrate these transformative decades in American history and their continued relevance today. HistoryMiami Museum is located at 101 W. Flagler St., Miami. Free Admission for all. For more information, visit historymiami.org/exhibition/black-citizenship