Miami football schedule 2023: preview and analysis

Sophomore safety James Williams tackles a University of Pittsburgh running back during Miami's last game of the season on Saturday, Nov. 26 at Hard Rock Stadium. Photo credit: Alexandra Carnochan

As the 2022 college football season recently ended, it is time to start the hype for next year and take a look at Miami’s 2023 schedule.

Last season, the Hurricanes finished with a disappointing 5-7 record. Going into last season, Miami knew it was going to face plenty of challenges on the road as well as some tough matchups at home. Looking ahead to 2023, UM will have a lot more to look forward to.

In Week 1 of the season, Miami welcomes, Miami (Ohio). The Mid-American Conference (MAC) team finished last year with a 6-7 record. The Hurricanes are expected to be heavily favored in this matchup.

Week 2 will be a rematch of the most highly anticipated game from last season, a home matchup against Texas A&M. Miami lost 17-9 in a heartbreaking loss to the Aggies last season, but the Hurricanes will look for revenge at Hard Rock Stadium this fall.

Week 3 will likely be a light game for the ‘Canes, as they welcome back Bethune-Cookman, the team Miami beat 70-13 in last season’s home opener. UM’s first road game will be in Week 4, as they head to Philadelphia to face the Temple, which finished last season 3-9. The Hurricanes will have their bye week after their contest against the Owls.

Miami starts its Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) schedule when it welcomes Georgia Tech in Week 5. The Hurricanes defeated the Yellow Jackets, 35-14, in last year’s matchup between the two teams.

UM’s first ACC road matchup will be in Week 6 when Miami travels to Chapel Hill, N.C. to take on North Carolina. The Tar Heels are one of the ACC teams to watch early in the year as they welcome back star gunslinger Luke Maye for another season. North Carolina beat Miami, 27-24, in a close battle last season.

The Hurricanes will be home in Week 7 and Week 8 for contests against both Clemson and Virginia. The Clemson game should answer a lot about Miami’s season, as the Tigers have dominated the ACC for most of the last 11 seasons. The Hurricanes beat Virginia, 14-12, in a quadruple-overtime thriller at Virginia last season.

Miami will get back on the road for Week 9 and Week 10, as it faces off against North Carolina State and Florida State. The road test at Florida State will be one of the most highly anticipated games of the year after the Seminoles dominated Miami, 45-3, at Hard Rock last season.