What are “U” doing for Valentine’s Day this year?

Photo credit: Roberta Macedo

As Valentine’s Day approaches, the scramble for plans begins. Whether you’re taken, single or just cruising through the year, there is something for you to do on this day to celebrate love. Love comes in all shapes and sizes — it’s not just for your significant other, but also love for yourself and the friends that keep us smiling every day.

For those thinking of a romantic night for two, the city of Miami has that much to offer and more. From romantic dinner dates at Crazy About You in Brickell to hitting up a drag brunch at Palace in South Beach, there is something for everyone to enjoy. But sometimes, going above and beyond with those you love makes for memories that last a lifetime.

“My favorite Valentine’s Day was last year when we went on a couples’ trip with my sister and her husband and her bestie and her husband to Disney for the Festival of the Arts,” senior creative advertising major Gaby Torna said.

Happening through Feb. 20, Disney’s Festival of the Arts is your opportunity to experience art in the happiest place on Earth. Art galleries, delicious cuisine and live music are just a few things one can expect when attending.

“It was so much fun and so cute because we ended up waking up at like 3 a.m. and heading straight to Epcot,” Torna said. “It truly felt like Valentine’s Day, especially with all the photo passes we took that were all Valentine’s Day and art themed. I even dressed up with my Valentine’s Day Minnie ears and heart-shaped lollipop earrings.”

Galentine’s Day, usually celebrated the weekend before Valentine’s Day, is the time to honor friendships, new or old, in all of their forms. Although not an official holiday, many are jumping at the idea to celebrate and shower in love those in your life who are always there for you. Who else are you going to call for last-minute outfit inspiration, late-night life advice or to rant about the little things that a partner just won’t get?

“What I like about Galentine’s Day is that it allows people who are not in a relationship to also celebrate Valentine’s Day, which fundamentally is a day to celebrate love,” sophomore marketing major Aris Montero said. “I feel like love doesn’t only have to be within a relationship, but also relationships of friendship.”

‘Tis the season for aesthetic Pinterest boards of beachside picnics, chocolate-covered strawberries and tiny heart-shaped cakes that go viral almost every month. Getting together with those you love most truly is the reason for the season.

Along with the mush and gush of Valentine’s Day comes the group of people who would simply rather wallow in singlehood and indulge themselves with endless amounts of heart-shaped chocolate. Is there a better way to celebrate singleness than binging the most cliche, yet touching romantic comedies?

Because of its increasing popularity on various social media platforms, one can predict “How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days” making its well-deserved comeback in the rom-com genre.

In the early 2000’s hit romantic comedy, advertising executive Benjamin Barry (Matthew McCaugnehey) makes a bet that he can make any woman fall in love with him. At the same time, magazine writer Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) is composing an article about the steps that led her boyfriend to dump her. In search of the best techniques, Andie employs a number of dating “don’ts” to get Ben to break up with her.

“I loved Andie’s character. Usually the women in rom-coms are portrayed as damsels in distress, but Andie was the complete opposite,” Ava Kezirian, a first-year student studying broadcast journalism and theatre arts, said.

Kezirian elaborated further on the movie’s subversion of typical romantic comedy plots, praising it for standing apart from the rest.

“It’s a great Valentine’s Day movie because it shows a realistic relationship dynamic rather than a romanticized, fake one. To me, that’s much more romantic than something unrealistic,” Kezirian said.

If you couldn’t tell, UM students will celebrate this worldwide day of love in a plethora of ways, from the cutely conventional to the utterly unorthdox. Whether it’s a romantic night out with your significant other, a Galentine’s day picnic or a cozy movie night, gather your loved ones and make sure to celebrate love in all its forms.

No matter how you choose to celebrate (or not celebrate) Valentine’s day, we’re grateful for an entire day dedicated to love.