Now playing: Cosford Cinema CAC showings of Spring 2023

Photo credit: "Bill Cosford Cinema 3" by Fora do Eixo São Carlos is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.

If you still haven’t seen the sequels to “Black Panther” or “Avatar,” have no fear — this semester, you can see them right here on campus for free!

Every Wednesday and Saturday at 9 p.m., the Cinematic Arts Commission (CAC) hosts free movies at the Cosford Cinema. Located on the second floor of Dooley Memorial, Cosford gives students an authentic movie theater experience right here on campus.

Check out the full list of films showing this semester:

Photo credit: Cinematic Arts Commission

Jan. 25 & 28

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Following the death of King T’Challa, the nation of Wakanda must move forward and protect their people from hostile invaders without the security of the Black Panther. The only ones left of their family, Shuri (Letitia Wright) and Queen Ramonda (Angela Bassett) must rely on the Dora Milaje, Nakia (Lupita Nyong’o) and CIA Agent Everett Ross (Martin Freeman) when a new enemy arises.

Feb. 1 & 4

The Woman King

Drawn from real-life events, “The Woman King” features the Agojie, a group of all-female warriors who protected Dahomey — a powerful African kingdom in the 18th and 19th century — from foreign enemies. This historic film stars Viola Davis in the titular role, with a strong supporting cast made up of Thuso Mbedu, Lashana Lynch, Sheila Atim and John Boyega.

Feb. 8 & 11

Bones and All

Based on the 2015 novel by Camille DeAngelis, “Bones and All” follows Lee (Timothée Chalamet) and Maren (Taylor Russell), young lovers who travel the outskirts of society in search of connection. In his second collaboration with Chalamet, “Call Me By Your Name” director Luca Guadagnino paints a gory picture of young love in this romantic horror film, one that is difficult to stomach — literally.

Feb. 15 & 18

Marcel the Shell With Shoes On

Written by and starring actress Jenny Slate, this stop-motion, animated mockumentary follows Marcel, a one-inch-tall talking mollusk who lives with his grandmother Connie (Isabella Rossellini). When filmmaker Dean (Dean Fleischer Camp) discovers Marcel, his online documentary propels the small shell into the spotlight. Don’t underestimate this animated feature — it covers grief and loss, the necessity of connection and the joy found in unlikely places.

Feb. 22 & 25

See How They Run

This comedy murder mystery set in 1950s London stars Saoirse Ronan and Sam Rockwell as mismatched detectives, escaping peril as they investigate the murder of an American movie director hired for the movie version of a popular play. “See How They Run” takes viewers on a whirlwind whodunit reminiscent of “Knives Out,” turning the genre on its head.

Mar. 1 & 4

The Menu

In “The Menu,” Anya Taylor-Joy and Nicholas Hoult play a couple who are invited to a remote island to try food from Chef Julian Slowik (Ralph Fiennes), a celebrity chef who prepares a lavish menu with unexpected dishes. This dark satirical comedy features a strong ensemble cast with Hong Chau, Janet McTeer and John Leguizamo, who all play diners at this exclusive restaurant.

Mar. 22 & 25

Smile

Parker Finn makes his feature directorial debut in “Smile,” which stars Sosie Bacon as Dr. Rose Cotter, a therapist who experiences disturbing, inexplicable occurrences after witnessing a patient’s bizarre suicide. This psychological horror film combines supernatural entities with real-life human trauma, featuring an unreliable narrator who must confront her past before it consumes her.

Mar. 29 & Apr. 1

Triangle of Sadness

When celebrity fashion models Carl (Harris Dickinson) and Yaya (Charlbi Dean) are invited on a luxury cruise for the uber-rich, everything seems perfectly instagrammable — until it goes horribly wrong. A dark, satirical comedy, “Triangle of Sadness” pokes fun at influencer culture, turning social hierarchy upside down in a commentary on wealth and beauty.

Apr. 5 & 8

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

The titular character (Antonio Banderas) realizes that his passion for adventure has dire consequences when he realizes he’s down to the last of his nine lives. In this animated Dreamworks film, the fugitive cat sets out on a journey to find the legendary Last Wish and restore the lost eight lives — all while evading enemies hunting him down. The voice-acting ensemble cast includes Salma Hayek, Florence Pugh and John Mulaney, among others.

Apr. 12 & 15

Avatar: The Way of Water

In the highly anticipated sequel to the smash-hit film, “Avatar: The Way of Water” follows Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) and Ney’tiri (Zoe Saldana), who have started a family together on Pandora. However, an ancient threat resurfaces that could destroy their home and the life they’ve built. The film features returning actors Sigourney Weaver and Stephen Lang alongside Kate Winslet and a fresh, young cast.

Apr. 19 & 22

Babylon

An R-rated period drama, “Babylon” boasts a strong ensemble cast including Margot Robbie, Brad Pitt, Diego Calva, Jovan Adepo and Li Jun Li. Follow their ambitious characters as the film traces their rise and fall in 1920s Hollywood, an era of decadence, depravity and debauchery.

Apr. 26 & 29

Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania

In this Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) film, Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) struggles to balance his roles as a father and superhero. After Hope van Dyne (Evangeline Lilly) approaches him, Lang takes up the Ant-Man mantle once again, transporting to the Quantum Realm along with their family and facing Kang the Conqueror (Jonathan Majors).