From Marvel to mermaids: the most anticipated movies of 2023

Photo credit: Roberta Macedo

2023 is the year for superhero movies, sequels and new interpretations of beloved classic characters. This year’s releases give movie watchers of all ages and tastes a reason to head to the theater. Mark your calendars for the 19 most anticipated movies of 2023.

Magic Mike’s Last Dance (Feb. 10)

Mike Lane (Channing Tatum) returns to the stage after a business deal gone wrong leaves him broke and bartending in Florida. For his last dance, Mike heads to London after being lured by an offer he can’t refuse — a woman (Salma Hayek) with an agenda of her own. With everything on the line, Mike finds himself training a new roster of talented dancers.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (Feb. 17)

Exploring the new quantum realm, Ant-Man (Paul Rudd) and the Wasp (Evangeline Lilly) return to interact with intergalactic creatures and embark on a journey, pushing them beyond possibility.

Creed III (March 3)

Making his directorial debut, Michael B. Jordan returns to his role as Adonis Creed, son of Apollo and the hero of the “Rocky” movie series. When a childhood friend, Damian (Jonathan Majors), resurfaces to prove his worth, the two face off. To settle the score, Adonis puts everything on the line, while Damian has nothing to lose.

“I think this year will be a great year for movies,” Ava Kezirian, a first year student studying broadcast journalism & theatre arts said. “As a lifelong ‘Rocky’ fan, I’m super curious to see how they continue the legacy and storyline. I loved the first two of the series and I’m sure the third will exceed my expectations.”

65 (March 10)

After a catastrophic explosion on an unknown island, a pilot (Adam Driver) discovers he is stranded on Earth, 65 million years ago. With one final chance at rescue, two other survivors (Ariana Greenblatt and Chloe Coleman) must make the difficult journey across unknown land littered with dangerous prehistoric creatures.

Scream VI (March 10)

Four survivors of the original Ghostface killings, sisters Sam and Tara (Melissa Barrera and Jenna Ortega) and their friends, leave Woodsboro for a fresh start — until they find themselves being terrorized across New York City.

Shazam! Fury of the Gods (March 17)

Zachary Levi returns to Shazam for a sequel along with his teenage form portrayed by Asher Angel. When new villains Kalypso (Lucy Liu) and Hespera (Helen Mirren) arrive, the kids must reunite and work together to defeat them.

John Wick: Chapter 4 (March 24)

After a two-year delay caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, Chad Stahelski and Keanu Reeves’ action franchise arrives in theaters in March. With an ever-increasing price for his head, hitman John Wick goes global as he seeks out the most powerful players in the underworld.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (March 31)

Directed by John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, the popular game Dungeons & Dragons is revived for the screen. Chris Pine plays the charming thief who bands together with some unlikely adventurers for an epic quest in search of a long-lost relic.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie (April 7)

Produced by Chris Meledandri of Illumination (“Despicable Me”) and the creator of Mario, Shigeru Miyamoto, the iconic plumber, his brother and a gang of friends are adapted for the big screen. Voiced by Chris Pratt, Mario partners with his brother Luigi on a quest to save a captured princess.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 5)

The next installment of the “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise will make its way to the big screen in May 2023. Not much is known about the plot of the movie except that it is based on the Marvel Comics superhero team the Guardians of the Galaxy.

“As a Marvel fan, I always get excited when something new comes out,” Isa Lozano, a third year student studying creative advertising and sports administration said. “I’m looking forward to ‘Ant-Man’ and ‘Guardians of the Galaxy,’ especially those because they’re more of the comedy ones.”

The Little Mermaid (May 26)

The live action remake of Disney’s “The Little Mermaid” stars Halle Bailey, Jonah Hauer-King, Melissa McCarthy, Javier Bardem, Daveed Diggs and Awkwafina. Ariel is a young, beautiful and spirited mermaid who longs to find out more about the world beyond the sea. In search of adventure, Ariel visits the surface and falls for the dashing Prince Eric. Following her heart, the mermaid makes a deal with the evil sea witch, Ursula, for the chance to experience life on land.

“There’s been so much controversy and buzz surrounding the live action Little Mermaid, and I’m really looking forward to seeing how they do with the graphics,” Kezirian said.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30)

Harrison Ford stars as the classic archeologist Indiana Jones in the film series’ fifth installment. Not much is known about the plot except that it is set to follow the 2008 “Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.”

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (July 14)

2023 was supposed to bring us “Mission: Impossible 8,” but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the film was pushed to 2024, while July of 2023 brings us the film series’ seventh installment, bringing back familiar faces from the beloved franchise.

Oppenheimer (July 21)

The much-anticipated biopic directed by Christopher Nolan details the life of the physicist and “father of the atomic bomb” J. Robert Oppenheimer, played by Cillian Murphy who stars alongside Emily Blunt and Matt Damon.

The Marvels (July 28)

Standing as one of the five Marvel releases of 2023, “The Marvels” is the sequel to 2019’s Captain Marvel. Brie Larson will reprise her role as Captain Marvel in the sequel.

Barbie (July 21)

Greta Gerwig is back with a larger-than-life interpretation of the classic Barbie character. After being expelled from Barbieland for being less-than-perfect, Barbie is left to experience the human world in search of happiness.

“I loved the Barbie animated movies growing up and it’s like, in a way, she has grown up with us,” Lozano said.

Dune: Part Two (Nov. 3)

Austin Butler and Florence Pugh join Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya and the star-studded cast of “Dune” for the sequel. While seeking revenge against the conspirators who destroyed his family, Paul Atreides must choose between the love of his life and the fate of the universe.

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (Nov. 17)

The beloved dystopian drama returns eight years later for the story of 18-year-old Coriolabnus Snow, years before he becomes the tyrannical president of Panem.

Wonka (Dec. 15)

The beloved story of Willy Wonka returns for a third version, this time starring Timothee Chalamat. The plot follows the origin story of the young chocolatier as he meets the Oompa Loompas for the first time.