‘Canes hit 12 3-pointers, bounce back with 88-72 win over Boston College

Sophomore guard Wooga Poplar drives to the basket during Miami’s win over Boston College on Wednesday, Jan. 11 at the Watsco Center. Photo credit: Cecelia Runner

The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes got back in the win column versus the Boston College Eagles on Wednesday night, beating them 88-72 at the Watsco Center.

The win took a complete team effort from the Hurricanes (14-2, 5-1 Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC)), who registered 20 assists and had five players in double figures. Miami was averaging just under 15 assists per game prior to the matchup.

We do a really good job of sharing the ball,” Miami head coach Jim Larrañaga said. “We were terrific on offense. We had a great night shooting tonight.”

Miami shot 60% from the field and 67% from 3-point range, more than doubling its 31.8% season average from behind the arc. The Eagles, who made 4 of their 9 attempts from deep in the game, are the worst 3-point shooting team in the conference.

However, Boston College (8-9, 2-4 ACC) had its way in the paint, scoring 48 of its 72 points there. At one point, the Eagles had a 9-0 run solely in the paint.

I think that Boston College was terrific. They’re so good at getting the ball in the paint scoring right at the rim,” Larrañaga said.

Miami had large runs too. Guard Wooga Poplar went on a 7-0 run by himself early in the first half, which was capped off with a ferocious tomahawk dunk that got the Watsco Center crowd into the game. Poplar finished with 10 points on 4-of-5 shooting with an assist and rebound.

Soon after, the Hurricanes went on an electric 15-0 run that put them up 25-13 in five minutes. It was started by guard Jordan Miller’s corner 3.

Miami led 43-28 at the break. Miller did it all in the first half, scoring 10 points and adding three rebounds and five assists. He ended the game with 19 points and six rebounds.

Senior guard Jordan Miller prepares to pass the ball during Miami’s win over Boston College on Wednesday, Jan. 11 at the Watsco Center.
Senior guard Jordan Miller prepares to pass the ball during Miami’s win over Boston College on Wednesday, Jan. 11 at the Watsco Center. Photo credit: Cecelia Runner

The second half had one player shine above the rest: guard Harlond Beverly, who scored a season-high 15 points on 6-of-7 shooting while playing elite defense.

“I think it’s the best game he’s played since he’s been here because he did it at both ends of the court,” Larrañaga said.

Beverly had 10 points and five assists in the second half alone, which mostly came from transition offense off Boston College turnovers. Beverly also had two steals in the half and hit a significant transition three that rolled all the way around the basket before dropping in. That got the fans roaring.

“I feel like I played well,” Beverly said. “[Coach] put me in good spots to do what I do best, and my teammates helped me on the way as well.”

After having season-ending back surgery last year, Beverly has provided consistent play off the bench this season.

Guard Isaiah Wong led all scorers with 22 points.

Next up for the Hurricanes will be an away game against NC State on Saturday, Jan. 14th. Tip-off is schedule for 12 p.m. at PNC Arena.