WBB pulls off upset against No. 9 Virginia Tech, 77-66

Haley Cavinder dribbles the ball during Miami's game against Virginia Tech on Jan. 8 at the Watsco Center. Photo credit: Miami Athletics

After defeating No. 22 North Carolina on Thursday, Miami women’s basketball took down the ninth-ranked Virginia Tech Hokies 77-66 on Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Center. It was the second straight win over a Top-25 opponent for the Hurricanes.

The victory was aided by Miami’s stellar shooting performance, as it knocked down 53.1% of its shots – the Hurricanes’ second-best mark this season.

Guard Jasmyne Roberts was the offensive catalyst for Miami as she led the team with a career-high 23 points, while grabbing eight rebounds and hitting five 3-pointers.

“This league is nuts, there is no other way to say it. Virginia Tech is incredibly electric, offensively, and you saw today how much work goes into stopping them from scoring,” head coach Katie Meier said. “The story of the game without any questions was Jasmyne Roberts. She has been waiting her turn and she is just so confident right now and she is the most positive player on our team.”

The first quarter showcased Miami’s impressive offense as it scored 20 points, eight of them coming from Roberts, to build a ten-point advantage at the end of the frame.

The Hurricanes started the second quarter hot, going on a 7-0 run, but the Hokies knocked down five of their next six shots to cut the lead to just two. By the end of the first half, Miami held a narrow 39-38 lead.

In the third quarter, the Miami defense stepped up, holding Virginia Tech to just 38.5% shooting from the field in the quarter. On the other side, the ‘Canes shot 50% to help bring the lead up to 60-54 entering the fourth quarter.

The final frame saw the Hokies battle back to tie the game at 60 with 7:29 to go, but Haley Cavinder drilled a 3-pointer that gave Miami a lead that it would not give up the rest of the game.

The Hurricanes’ defense was spectacular in the final minutes, only allowing two free throws and zero field goals to Virginia Tech in the final 5:57. Meanwhile, Haley Cavinder hit four free throws to seal the win and an impressive upset for Miami.

Cavinder was Miami’s second leading scorer with 19 points, her eighth straight game in double figures.

“Haley is leading and that’s not easy to do on a team that returned four starters. She’s obviously a little bit more comfortable,” Meier said. “She is as competitive as any kid I have ever coached in my life, times 10.”

With the win, Miami improves to 10-6 and 3-2 in the Atlantic Coast Conference, while Virginia Tech falls to 13-3 and 3-3 within the ACC.

Miami’s next game will be on the road against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets on Jan. 12. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. on ACC Network.