MBB scores most points since 2015, edges Cornell 107-105

Fourth-year junior guard Isaiah Wong drives to the basket during Miami's game versus Cornell University on Wednesday, Dec. 7 at the Watsco Center. Photo credit: Alexandra Carnochan

The Miami men’s basketball team won an offensive shootout against the Cornell Big Red, 107-105, on Wednesday night at the Watsco Center. The Hurricanes have now won six straight games at home, and their 107 points are the most they have scored in a game since 2015.

Much of it came from the pace that Cornell (7-2) played with.

“It was like trying to catch a runaway train,” Miami head coach Jim Larrañaga said.

Miami (9-1, 1-0 Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC)) was favored to win by more than 14 points, but Cornell made it difficult for the ‘Canes to build a lead and come out with the victory.

Junior guard Isaiah Wong had everything going for him on Wednesday night. He had a career-high 36 points on 11 of 17 shots. It was the most points by a Hurricanes player in the last 15 seasons. Wong had 22 points in the first half alone, which is almost nine more than his season average of 13.3.

That game really suited me – they play really fast. I got my shot going early, and I felt [a] flow through the game,Wong said.

Wong broke his previous career high of 30, which he did against Louisville back in his second season as a Hurricane.

Both teams came out of the gate with guns blazing, shooting more than 50% from the field with no answers for each other on the defensive end. Miami led 66-52 at halftime, which is the most points that the ‘Canes have scored in a half since they joined the ACC.

The script was simply perfect in terms of their execution, Larrañaga said postgame. “Cornell played with tempo, and we were able to keep up with that tempo.

Offensively, Miami was the most clinical that it has been all season. Sophomore guard Bensley Joseph was one player in particular who stepped up. He tied a career high of 12 points and provided lockdown defense with two steals and a block. Senior forward Jordan Miller had a seasonhigh 22 points.

Fifth-year senior guard Jordan Miller dunks the ball during Miami's 107-105 win over Cornell University on Wednesday, Dec. 7 at the Watsco Center.
Fifth-year senior guard Jordan Miller dunks the ball during Miami's 107-105 win over Cornell University on Wednesday, Dec. 7 at the Watsco Center. Photo credit: Alexandra Carnochan

After halftime, Miami built its lead to 21 points, but the Big Red came storming back.

Cornell began to force turnovers with its full court press, and Miami’s lead trickled down to just two with 4.3 seconds left. However, Cornell missed two 3-pointers that would have clinched the win, and the ‘Canes were able to come out on top.

Miami’s next game will be its ACC home opener on Saturday versus the NC State Wolfpack (8-2, 0-1 ACC). Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. at the Watsco Center.