Miami loses to Michigan in ACC/Big Ten Challenge

Graduate student forward Destiny Harden drives to the basket during Miami's loss to the University of Michigan on Thursday, Dec. 1 at the Watsco Center. Photo credit: Alexandra Carnochan

Miami women’s basketball (6-3) lost its second straight game at the Watsco Center on Thursday against No. 17 Michigan (8-0) by a score of 76-64 in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

“That was intense, physical and dramatic. We killed it on the glass, the effort was unbelievable,” Miami head coach Katie Meier said. “I think it was the first time this year that we literally played our guts out, but, in big moments, [Michigan] hit the shot or got to the free throw line. They’re very hard to score against and they are a great team.”

After a rough first quarter, Miami bounced back in the second quarter and secured a lead, but Michigan went on a quick 8-3 scoring run going into halftime, and the Wolverines held a 34-31 lead at the break.

In their most physical game of the season, the Hurricanes hung on until the end. but the Wolverines were too much to stop. Michigan ended the game shooting 10-for-10 from the field.

The Hurricanes committed 28 turnovers against one of the best teams in the country. The Wolverines capitalized on Miami’s mistakes, scoring 28 points off those turnovers.

Senior guard Haley Cavinder shoots a 3-point shot during Miami’s game against Michigan on Friday, Dec.1 at the Watsco Center
Senior guard Haley Cavinder shoots a 3-point shot during Miami’s game against Michigan on Friday, Dec.1 at the Watsco Center Photo credit: Cecelia Runner

Transfer guard Haley Cavinder led Miami in scoring for the first time this season with 17 points. After struggling in the first half, graduate student Destiny Harden ended with 13 points as she led the ‘Canes in fourth-quarter scoring.

Sophomore guard Lashae Dwyer was the spark Miami needed off the bench. Dwyer scored 12 points on 5-for-10 shooting while grabbing a career-high eight rebounds.

Miami could not stop Michigan guard Leigha Brown, as she led all scorers with 26 points. Forward Emily Kiser was also a focal point for the Wolverines. Kiser tallied 20 points on 6-for-11 shooting.

Looking ahead, Miami will need to clean up its mistakes to compete at a high level. Turnovers and fouls were the main issues for the ‘Canes.

The Hurricanes are back at the Watsco Center on Sunday to host the North Florida Ospreys. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m.