‘Canes drop final regular season match against FSU

Freshman outside hitter Peyman Yardimci serves the ball during the Canes’ game versus UMBC in the Knight Sports Complex on Aug. 29, 2021. Photo credit: Jared Lennon

After a hard-fought win over the Duke Blue Devils only three days prior, Miami volleyball looked emotionally and physically exhausted against in-state rival Florida State on Wednesday night, falling 3-0 at the Knight Sports Complex.

The Hurricanes (19-10, 12-6 Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC)) were on a six-game winning streak as they headed into battle against the Seminoles (19-9, 11-6 ACC), but Florida State seemed to have every answer. The only bright spot for the ‘Canes was senior Savannah Vach’s achievement of 4,000 career assists, becoming just the fourth player in school history to pull off such a feat.

To start the match, Miami looked good as it grabbed a 10-4 lead against the Seminoles. The match would tighten up from there before Florida State pulled away in the final stretch to claim the opening set, 25-20.

In the second set, the Seminoles put on a dominant performance from start to finish. The ‘Canes would never hold a lead or tie the score against Florida State as it cruised to a 25-16 second-set victory.

The third set was strikingly similar to the first. Miami fought its way to a 10-3 lead before the Seminoles grabbed seven straight points to tie the match. The teams went back and forth for a few points before Florida State took the lead for the final time. The Seminoles would close out the match and Miami’s regular season by taking the final set, 25-22.

It was a tough way for the Hurricanes to end the regular season, especially after their big winning streak, but they are still in good form heading into the NCAA tournament. The biggest weakness for Miami on Wednesday was an abysmal .135 hitting percentage during the match. When the ‘Canes swept Syracuse five days prior, their hitting percentage was .250.

The loss does not dampen Vach’s exceptional feat of 4,000 career assists for the ‘Canes. Predictably, she led the match in assists with 27 and collected three digs. Redshirt junior Angela Grieve would lead the Hurricanes in kills with nine, and freshman Naylani Feliciano would record 10 digs.

Felciano was also named ACC Volleyball Player of the Week on Nov. 21.

Miami will now wait to hear its name called when the NCAA selection show takes place on Nov. 27 at 7:30 p.m. on ESPNU.