Lattimore leads Miami woman’s basketball past Boston

Sophomore forward Latasha Lattimore drives to the basket during Miami's win over Boston University on Sunday, Nov. 13 at the Watsco Center. Photo credit: Alexandra Carnochan

After picking up two dominant wins to start its season, the Miami women’s basketball team continued its hot start with a punishing 81-46 win over Boston University on Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Center.

Miami was led by a breakout performance by sophomore forward Latasha Lattimore. She racked up a career-high of 25 points and 10 rebounds for her second career double-double and first in a Miami uniform.

Lattimore displayed her versatility around the rim and ability to hit inside jump shots.

“What a game and what a performance by Latasha Lattimore. I’m very happy for her and her double-double,” associate head coach Fitzroy Anthony said. “We shared the ball really well and had 23 assists as a team. As a coach, that’s really fun to watch and be a part of.”

Graduate forward Destiny Harden also had a great game of her own, tallying 14 points, four assists and four steals.

Senior guard Hanna Cavinder drives to the basket during Miami's game against Boston University on Sunday, Nov. 13 at the Watsco Center.
Senior guard Hanna Cavinder drives to the basket during Miami's game against Boston University on Sunday, Nov. 13 at the Watsco Center. Photo credit: Alexandra Carnochan

Senior guards Haley and Hanna Cavinder have already proven their shooting ability, but today they showcased their passing by each dishing out five assists. Their combined assists accounted for 10 of the team’s total 23.

UM shot the ball well, shooting 44.3% from the field, 38.1% from behind the arc and an efficient 91.7% from the free-throw line.

With a 20-0 run, highlighted by a trio of 3-pointers by Harden, Miami put together its best offensive quarter of the season in the third. While limiting the Terriers to only seven points, the Hurricanes finished the quarter shooting 58.8% from the field.

Graduate student guard Karla Erjavec holds the ball away from defenders during Miami's win over Boston University on Sunday, Nov. 13 at the Watsco Center.
Graduate student guard Karla Erjavec holds the ball away from defenders during Miami's win over Boston University on Sunday, Nov. 13 at the Watsco Center. Photo credit: Alexandra Carnochan

Similar to the first two games, Miami’s offense played great, but its defense continued to stand out.

The defense totaled 12 steals, forced a low 30.4% shooting from the field and scored 27 points off the Terriers’ 23 turnovers.

The ‘Canes cap off their homestand and look to extend their winning streak against Florida Atlantic University this Wednesday at 6 p.m. at the Watsco Center.