A UM student guide to Taylor Swift’s upcoming tour

LOS ANGELES - MARCH 14: Guest arrives for the 2019 iHeartRadio Music Awards on March 14, 2019 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Glenn Francis/Pacific Pro Digital Photography)

Taylor Swift announced her Eras tour following the release of her 10 original studio album, “Midnights.” The tour, her first in five years, kicks off on March 18 and the mad-dash for tickets has already begun. There is plenty to do and know to advance your chances at tickets. Here’s what we know and what’s coming next.

What album is this tour for?

The Eras tour will feature music from all of Swift’s albums, meaning instead of primarily performing off of “Midnights,” she will be singing fan favorites through the years. “Swifties,” the name of the artist’s fanbase, are thrilled about this as Swift has not toured her last four albums due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

UM’s campus has been abuzz with excitement. Senior theatre arts major Scarlett Diaz said she is thrilled about it being an Eras tour so she can scream the music she grew up singing in the shower.

“I think that doing a full Eras tour is a genius career move,” Diaz said. “I’m interested to see when she releases the other Taylor’s versions.”

When do tickets go on sale?

General sale of tickets begins on Nov. 18 at 10 a.m. local venue time, but there are a few ways fans can gain early access. The presale is available to fans who participate in TicketMaster’s Verified Fan registration or through use of a Capital One card. Through Verified Fan registration, fans can buy tickets as early as Nov. 15 at 10 a.m. local venue time with an access code. Through Capital One, you can be eligible at 2 p.m. on Nov. 15 even without an access code.

To help increase chances, some committed fans have found themselves signing up for Capital One cards. Among this group is junior health sciences major Emma McKeon.

“I signed up for a Capital One card just in case,” McKeon said. “I was so excited and hoped it would be enough to get Taylor tickets.”

Embed from Getty Images

How do I register for the Verified Fan presale?

Verified Fan presale is open now through Nov. 9 at 11:59 p.m. ET. To register for the pre-sale, use the link posted to @TaylorSwift or @Taylornation on Instagram. Using these links ensures you will not be scammed.

Once you click that link, you will be prompted to sign in with Ticketmaster. You will then be placed in a queue waiting for the opportunity to register. After waiting your turn, you will be redirected to a page to fill in your information and rank the top three shows you wish to attend. Junior finance and marketing major Quentin Asencio spent a total of six hours on that screen before getting through.

“I was waiting for so long to just register for a chance to have a chance at getting tickets,” Asencio said. “It made me really nervous about getting tickets.”

Ranking the three shows does not guarantee you will get an access code for all three dates and registering for Verified Fan does not guarantee an access code in general. It means you have registered for the opportunity to shop for tickets if you are chosen for an access code.

Only one registration is permitted per person. On the evening of Nov. 14, Ticketmaster will send emails to the fans who received access codes.

What happens if I get a presale code?

If you receive an access code, be sure to have it ready when you go to buy tickets the next morning at local venue time.

The virtual Waiting Room will open 10 minutes prior to the start of the sale. There is high demand for these tickets, so the probability of waiting in the queue for a while is high. Once you reach the front of the line, you will be asked to enter your access code and then be permitted to try and buy tickets.

Fans will have the ability to purchase up to six tickets in this sale. If selected to have a chance at multiple shows, you will receive a different access code for each show.

If you receive multiple access codes, you may have one tab open per show. However, you will need to join separate Waiting Rooms for each show and once you join do not close the page.

“I have no idea how chaotic it is going to be,” McKeon said. “I’m just going to hope for the best.”

What does it mean if I’m on the waitlist?

If you do not receive an access code, you will instead receive an email stating you are on the waitlist. This means that if additional tickets become available, you will receive a code. If not, you will have to try at general sale.

Get excited!

“Her music is always empowering, but her performances and her speeches in between songs is like something I’ve never seen before,” Diaz said. “It’s the Taylor effect.”